I admit it, it's one of my favourite cities. I thought I would take the opportunity to show my nephew around Venice before his flight back to Australia (from Venice Airport) and then spend a couple of extra days there. This blog covers the first couple of days, visiting the usual places. When I was coming back through St Marks square, I noticed an unusually short queue to go up the St Marks Bell Tower (same design as Piran's tower), so I took the opportunity to take in the view. It was still chaotic up there with only a small lift operating and a long queue to get down but the views were excellent (as you can see from the pictures).
However, as you probably expected, we had a view adventures...
Hotel
I have stayed at the same hotel in Venice a few times. I am beginning to wonder why. Sure, they have early check in, good service, and it is close to the railway station. However, it is getting increasingly expensive and the rooms aren't improving. The bathroom had a partially missing door frame, there was a missing light switch cover too, and mould. Given the size of it, I would say we had a monitor rather than a TV, and you can't open the windows because you will get eaten by mosquitoes (they’re huge, they must breed them on site). The beds were just long enough for an average person (I guess it makes the room look bigger). On top of the high room price I had to pay a 21 euro city tax (in cash), but I think I came ahead there as when I booked they were wanting 12 euros per person for breakfast extra, each day, but when I got the receipt at check in (of course they deduct the money from your credit card well before your stay) it included breakfast.
Talking about breakfast, one morning an American at one table started talking (i.e. shouting) to her friend on another table. Unfortunately, for a Japanese couple they were at a table in the firing line between them. Another time a mother came in with a small child gripping on to her with both hands, another younger child was reluctant to come into the breakfast room at all. He soon ran off pursued by an older brother. I guess they aren't used to eating breakfast in public.
Security Alert
At Venice airport I saw a Chinese person with luggage marked with the name "Franz". Only two explanations: he stole the luggage or he was on an espionage mission. Also I saw a lot of bags that were not only strapped but then wrapped with that plastic stuff. For me, that's just an indicator that they are hiding something.
Italian TV
What the Italians regard as entertainment is interesting. There was a quiz program which featured contestants wearing metal devices on their heads when answering questions, another time they were in an enclosed water tank with snorkels. Then there is the soccer programme which doesn't feature any footage just talking and often, arguing.
Italian Drivers
On the way to the airport, we caught a bus. A person in a Fiat was very brave. He first cut in front of the bus from the right. Then cut off the bus again by changing lanes, driving across two lanes, right across the bus. The bus driver was so impressed he gave the driver a round of applause.
Lessons Learnt
I haven't verified this with my nephew but I think he learnt the following from his first overseas trip:
However, as you probably expected, we had a view adventures...
Hotel
I have stayed at the same hotel in Venice a few times. I am beginning to wonder why. Sure, they have early check in, good service, and it is close to the railway station. However, it is getting increasingly expensive and the rooms aren't improving. The bathroom had a partially missing door frame, there was a missing light switch cover too, and mould. Given the size of it, I would say we had a monitor rather than a TV, and you can't open the windows because you will get eaten by mosquitoes (they’re huge, they must breed them on site). The beds were just long enough for an average person (I guess it makes the room look bigger). On top of the high room price I had to pay a 21 euro city tax (in cash), but I think I came ahead there as when I booked they were wanting 12 euros per person for breakfast extra, each day, but when I got the receipt at check in (of course they deduct the money from your credit card well before your stay) it included breakfast.
Talking about breakfast, one morning an American at one table started talking (i.e. shouting) to her friend on another table. Unfortunately, for a Japanese couple they were at a table in the firing line between them. Another time a mother came in with a small child gripping on to her with both hands, another younger child was reluctant to come into the breakfast room at all. He soon ran off pursued by an older brother. I guess they aren't used to eating breakfast in public.
Security Alert
At Venice airport I saw a Chinese person with luggage marked with the name "Franz". Only two explanations: he stole the luggage or he was on an espionage mission. Also I saw a lot of bags that were not only strapped but then wrapped with that plastic stuff. For me, that's just an indicator that they are hiding something.
Italian TV
What the Italians regard as entertainment is interesting. There was a quiz program which featured contestants wearing metal devices on their heads when answering questions, another time they were in an enclosed water tank with snorkels. Then there is the soccer programme which doesn't feature any footage just talking and often, arguing.
Italian Drivers
On the way to the airport, we caught a bus. A person in a Fiat was very brave. He first cut in front of the bus from the right. Then cut off the bus again by changing lanes, driving across two lanes, right across the bus. The bus driver was so impressed he gave the driver a round of applause.
Lessons Learnt
I haven't verified this with my nephew but I think he learnt the following from his first overseas trip:
- Italians are different. Including their version of Fanta.
- Slovenian bus drivers are personalities.
- Slovenia has good and cheap food.
- Never rely on me for navigation if you are in a hurry or don't want a tour of the general locality.
- I like walking, a lot.
- It can be hot in Europe.
- There are a lot knuckleheads in Europe (mainly tourists). His favourite phrase was: "It's their world and we're just living in it".
No comments:
Post a Comment