Hello, am in Bologna today while my nephew is travelling further north (into unchartered waters for me). I have arrived in Italy and don't I know it. First the train was late arriving due to "technical infrastructure problems". I think that means the internationally recognised signal failure. Then I couldn't find the hotel. Got to the address, finally, but it was just an apartment building, no sign for the "hotel". As I was walking down the road, someone came chasing after me asking whether I was looking for the hotel in question. Turns out the hotel is just two rooms in a residential apartment building. Having said that the room is excellent - it has a TV and pillows (see below). I forgot to ask the person about wifi and checkout, so I rang their contact number. But they didn't know what I was on about as they don't speak English, so I sent an email and got the information, in Italian! Up until now, whoever is running this "hotel" seemed to have an excellent command of English based on previous correspondence. I have sent a follow up email on checkout as I didn't understand (even with Google translate) what they were on about. I think their business model needs a bit of refinement.
You certainly know you are in Italy, simply by the way they drive. You really take your chances when you step onto a road (regardless of whether there are lights or not). I figure they must have different rules here: drivers appear to be only required to give way to a certain number of pedestrians crossing the road before they are allowed to plough through the middle of them. Conversely, pedestrians can cross if they have a green man but they can also cross if it is red provided there isn't a car in the vicinity (i.e. less than 3m away).
The train trip was eventful. The feature was the high needs Italian traveller. He was talking to himself throughout the trip but the most entertaining was when he tried to get his overly large case up on the luggage rack, he nearly crushed himself before someone came to the rescue. He was simply too short and/or weak to manage that sort of bulk. The bag was simply out of his league. Shortly after that his phone rang and he couldn't get to it in time with all the cords. Then it rang again. He was comedy gold at this stage. Later he came back down the carriage complaining they hadn't stopped at the station long enough for him to have a cigarette. At one stage he was literally swinging off the luggage rack, later he was trying to cool himself by fanning with his hands. At one stage two dodgies came down the carriage, scanning it. Either looking for something to steal or two undercover police. Another passenger had an enormous set of hair. She clearly liked her hair but it looked structurally unsound as she only had a small head. Talking about police, no state police on the border between Austria and Italy but Italian Army instead. I don't why as they did less checking than the police usually do.
During our trip it was interesting to see what people carry on their travels. One person had a huge pack, including a device that looked like a water pump. I guess you always need to be prepared. This morning I saw someone with a quilt packed (or rather stuffed) in her backpack. One of those essential items I guess. Also on this trip I have noticed that the Austrians and Germans appear to be trying to abolish the pillow. The accommodation we stayed in provided these thin little things that are more like quilts than pillows. I'd like to know what is going on. In Italy they still believe in the pillow.
I have had only a small time in Bologna after a long (6 1/2 hour) but pretty train trip (see first pictures) but I did see their leaning towers. They have two.They allow you to climb up one but not the short one which leans more. Even the the Italians aren't prepared to risk it.
You certainly know you are in Italy, simply by the way they drive. You really take your chances when you step onto a road (regardless of whether there are lights or not). I figure they must have different rules here: drivers appear to be only required to give way to a certain number of pedestrians crossing the road before they are allowed to plough through the middle of them. Conversely, pedestrians can cross if they have a green man but they can also cross if it is red provided there isn't a car in the vicinity (i.e. less than 3m away).
The train trip was eventful. The feature was the high needs Italian traveller. He was talking to himself throughout the trip but the most entertaining was when he tried to get his overly large case up on the luggage rack, he nearly crushed himself before someone came to the rescue. He was simply too short and/or weak to manage that sort of bulk. The bag was simply out of his league. Shortly after that his phone rang and he couldn't get to it in time with all the cords. Then it rang again. He was comedy gold at this stage. Later he came back down the carriage complaining they hadn't stopped at the station long enough for him to have a cigarette. At one stage he was literally swinging off the luggage rack, later he was trying to cool himself by fanning with his hands. At one stage two dodgies came down the carriage, scanning it. Either looking for something to steal or two undercover police. Another passenger had an enormous set of hair. She clearly liked her hair but it looked structurally unsound as she only had a small head. Talking about police, no state police on the border between Austria and Italy but Italian Army instead. I don't why as they did less checking than the police usually do.
During our trip it was interesting to see what people carry on their travels. One person had a huge pack, including a device that looked like a water pump. I guess you always need to be prepared. This morning I saw someone with a quilt packed (or rather stuffed) in her backpack. One of those essential items I guess. Also on this trip I have noticed that the Austrians and Germans appear to be trying to abolish the pillow. The accommodation we stayed in provided these thin little things that are more like quilts than pillows. I'd like to know what is going on. In Italy they still believe in the pillow.
I have had only a small time in Bologna after a long (6 1/2 hour) but pretty train trip (see first pictures) but I did see their leaning towers. They have two.They allow you to climb up one but not the short one which leans more. Even the the Italians aren't prepared to risk it.





No comments:
Post a Comment