22 Jun 2019

A Tale of Two Italian Towns

Hello, yesterday's visit was to two coastal Italian towns: Muggia and the major city opposite, Trieste. First, we took the bus(es) to Lazaret (at the Slovenian border), then walked down to Muggia. It is sort of a nice town, being a coastal resort but in their style the Italians have spoilt it a bit by inappropriately developing the harbour area. We ate at a restaurant in the pedestrianised area, that got 5 stars for food and one star for service, from us. We even had a funeral going on at the church a few doors down. The initial waiter was more interested in fixing lights, and cleaning up than he was in serving customers. He really did try to do everything possible to avoid customer contact. Thankfully, a more competent person took over but even she eventually took refuge behind the bar, inside, so I had to track her down to pay. It didn't seem a very efficient outfit to me. After lunch in Muggia, it was on to the pretty ferry ride to Trieste. However, again in Italian style, there were no signs or any other indication of where the ferry actually left from the extensive harbour area. I asked several people and eventually I found a group who appeared to be waiting for something. I was in luck, one of them was actually taking the same ferry. It's just as well as because not in my wildest dreams would I have thought to catch the ferry from where it actually left. We didn't stay in Trieste long as my nephew was not feeling too well and so we caught the bus(es) back to Piran.








 









No comments:

Post a Comment