1 Aug 2017

Karavanke Alps Walk 3

Hello, the last day on the trail started quite early as I was awoken by the Croatians at 5.20am as they appeared in a hurry to go somewhere. Ironically, even though I got up much later than them I was still on the trail before they left the hut. Perhaps they had to catch up on some talking time. 

Anyway, this was supposed to be my second last day on the trail but my sore feet and the uncertain weather persuaded me to go down to the valley rather than higher up in the mountains to another hut. The way down was along forest roads. But when I say forest roads, I means rocky tracks barely negotiable by 4WD. The roads got better down the valley and when I got to a mountain pasture I had the choice of two ways down to my destination at the village of Begunje. Well, I didn't read the map properly and went left instead of right. But it was not a bad call as I got to see a few things which I would have missed out on had I not gone the Draga valley route: a gorge, war cemetery, and surprisingly, a castle. 

When I got to Begunje I caught the bus to Lake Bled and stayed at a hotel there. You really appreciate showers after these types of trips as all the huts had was a small wash basin. While I was waiting for the hotel check in time somebody standing near a mini-bus started talking gibberish to me about being part of their group. I didn't know what he was on about until he said the name of the hut that I had just been at, then it twigged: it was the Croatian group, who were now enthusiastically waiving to me from the bus as if we were old friends. I hardly spoke to them at the hut. 

I didn't do too much at Lake Bled, it is a pretty place but very busy this time of year. Seemed to be a lot of English-speaking tourists visiting. The trip concluded the following day when got back to Piran, just after 1pm.

My next trip, at the end of August, is also to the mountains (at Bovec) but that will be hotel based!










Begunje
 

Bled

No comments:

Post a Comment