31 Jul 2017

Karavanke Alps Walk 2

Hello, day two was a longer walk, almost 5 hours after getting lost, and it had its ups and downs (literally and figuratively). I started at the hut and finished at another hut (Roblekova dom, at 1657m).

The Dutch pair left the hut ahead of me but when I went out on the hut verandah, I saw them on the track below headed for the valley. I called out and told them that they were going the wrong way, the hut warden then showed them the track to the next hut. A close call! 

My walk started well with pleasant walking through thick forest. Then I got to a point where there did not appear to be any track or markers (lots of leaves made it difficult to see any track). Went right, across the some steep ground, then soon realised no track that way, then went back and looked up and saw what could be the track going up very steeply amongst tree roots. Clambered up and found a marker and I was right but the track went up and up and then it undulated for a long time, along occasionally dodgy ground, before I got to a mountain pasture (about halfway). No wonder I hadn't seen anybody so far. At this stage I wasn't enjoying it any more and was considering going down to the valley. It was 2 hours down and 1 hour 45 minutes to the hut. The weather was still good so I decided to take the shorter option and my feet, anyway, would not be able to withstand a long downhill by that stage. Well, I am made the right choice, the walk was uphill but on a good track which went across the mountain (Begunjscica) high above the valley with spectacular views down below, including Lake Bled and Mount Triglav (Slovenia's highest mountain). A bonus was a natural spring halfway through the walk. It was one of the best mountain walks I have done. 

Anyway, got to the hut and it was full with a Croatian group but there was enough room for me. They were noisy and self absorbed, as most groups are, but the position of the hut was spectacular; just below the big mountains.
















No comments:

Post a Comment