24 Jul 2017

Sunny Days in Piran

Hello, the weather continues to be warm and sunny here, was cooler for a few days (around 28) and now heating up again (low 30s) with increased humidity which means I need to put the fan on or I will expire in the apartment. Anyway some more observations before I do a short walking tour in the Karabanke mountains here in Slovenia, near the Austrian border, next week.

Dog Leads
Increasingly people have those long, retractable, dog leads which allows the dog to wander. That's all very fine for the dog and the owner but a bit of a tangling hazard if you are trying to pass and you have this lead in which you almost get entangled in (especially if you are on a bike). Even worse is when the lead is really thin and you can hardly see it. They should have to be in fluoro colours.

Interesting People
The other day I saw someone washing their lawn mower while it was running. I am no mechanic or safety expert but I don't think that's a good idea. It's a method of cleaning a lawn mower I never thought of.

Three Wheeled Motor Bikes
I have seen an increased number of these in Slovenia (i.e. with two wheels in the front and one at the back with a little cabin). They seem to have been purchased by people who are not very good drivers, based on the driving I have witnessed. 

Piran Attractions
A new attraction is the hitchhiker's museum, which appears to be dedicated to one person's travels around the world over 30 years. The person in question has a large picture of himself outside the museum and, as well, he sits outside accosting potential customers. I think he looks a bit creepy and I don't know how he managed to get motorists to give him a lift all those times.
We also have an exhibition of exotic, hairy spiders here. I'm not sure how that ties in with a coastal town.
Also the peak tourist season has started here. However, I can't understand the attraction of sitting in the sun on rocks or concrete, roasting yourself. Also in terms of dress, many people have no self awareness. When I was on the bus passing one day, one of them was naked, changing or something, near the road and next to the supermarket. Oblivious.

New Apartments
Saw some apartments for sale the other day and one thing struck me: they did not have any rails on the balcony. Not sure whether you can choose what design you like or if it is an optional extra. 

TV Shopping Advertisements
Latest product that I have seen advertised is the electro simulator. You attach some electrodes to yourself and it produces a charge which, amongst other things, helps with diabetes and Parkinson's disease. Why aren't the doctors on to this cutting edge technology? Also saw glasses which exclude the need for optometrists, as the strength of the lenses is adjustable.

Some pictures from the local area...















No comments:

Post a Comment