Back again. Last weekend I went to Celje, Slovenia's third largest town. It's an old place going back to Roman times and was the seat of the the Counts of Celje in the 13th-14th century who had considerable power in the region (it's their castle, Celje Castle, pictured below). I originally came to attend the Polkafest music event on Sunday but that was called off due to the bad weather expected. Ironically, it didn't rain at all on the day, although it threatened to; so I visited the castle instead. Great views of Celje and surrounds with plenty to see as it's quite a large castle (they even have a dungeon with torture instruments) and the honey cake is highly recommended. The previous afternoon I walked up to a lookout on a hill opposite the castle. I also visited the regional museum who have some Roman artefacts in their basement (including part of a road, see picture). The museum is located in a castle in town that the Counts of Celje moved to from the castle on the hill (the white building pictured at the end) - I guess it was a hassle going up that hill. Having walked up it, I fully understand.
In other matters...
The Trip Back from Kranjska Gora
I caught buses back to Ljubljana, and then to Piran. You might be surprised to learn that there were dramas. On the way to Ljubljana the bus had problems with the front door not opening. I'm no mechanic but it might be something to do with when the driver crunched the side of the bus on a kerb at a bus stop or maybe it was just a coincidence that the problem started after that misjudgement. In Ljubljana, for the next bus, the driver made people buy tickets from the bus station (usually you can buy them on the bus) and made the students with bus passes wait as he was caught out previously with the students getting on first and taking up all the seats at the expense of the non-subsidised passengers. There was some scowls and stamping of feet when they were finally let on. I guess life must be tough for a student. On the bus trip to Piran an English couple were sitting behind me. The husband had a problem that when he started talking he would start shouting before finding the right volume level and talking at a normal volume. The bus was also delayed by an hour due to a truck blowing some tyres and ending up sideways on the freeway (a car accident also held us up on my trip back from Celje but only for about 30 minutes).
Day Trip to Ljubljana
I went to Ljubljana for a day to do some shopping and on the way there our bus driver very kindly stopped to take passengers who were stranded at the side of the road when their local bus broke down.
My Neighbours Upstairs
The other day I was vacuuming outside my front door and upstairs were on their way out. The oldest child just gave me a death stare, the youngest child (the suspected gymnast) repeatedly pointed at me saying something to his mother. I don't understand Albanian but I am guessing it was along the lines of: "This is the guy that keeps on shouting at me from downstairs when I practice my gymnastics routine upstairs".
Slovenian Roundabouts
I was quite confused about the rule for giving way at roundabouts for a while but I think I have worked it out: you have to give way to the fastest and/or biggest vehicle.
Magpies
They have them here as well although they are a bit different. I started hearing them for the first time in Piran this year. They don't seem to have the musical skills of our magpies; their call sounding like a broken bicycle bell.
Off to Italy for a week on Wednesday. In the meantime here are the photos from Celje...
In other matters...
The Trip Back from Kranjska Gora
I caught buses back to Ljubljana, and then to Piran. You might be surprised to learn that there were dramas. On the way to Ljubljana the bus had problems with the front door not opening. I'm no mechanic but it might be something to do with when the driver crunched the side of the bus on a kerb at a bus stop or maybe it was just a coincidence that the problem started after that misjudgement. In Ljubljana, for the next bus, the driver made people buy tickets from the bus station (usually you can buy them on the bus) and made the students with bus passes wait as he was caught out previously with the students getting on first and taking up all the seats at the expense of the non-subsidised passengers. There was some scowls and stamping of feet when they were finally let on. I guess life must be tough for a student. On the bus trip to Piran an English couple were sitting behind me. The husband had a problem that when he started talking he would start shouting before finding the right volume level and talking at a normal volume. The bus was also delayed by an hour due to a truck blowing some tyres and ending up sideways on the freeway (a car accident also held us up on my trip back from Celje but only for about 30 minutes).
Day Trip to Ljubljana
I went to Ljubljana for a day to do some shopping and on the way there our bus driver very kindly stopped to take passengers who were stranded at the side of the road when their local bus broke down.
My Neighbours Upstairs
The other day I was vacuuming outside my front door and upstairs were on their way out. The oldest child just gave me a death stare, the youngest child (the suspected gymnast) repeatedly pointed at me saying something to his mother. I don't understand Albanian but I am guessing it was along the lines of: "This is the guy that keeps on shouting at me from downstairs when I practice my gymnastics routine upstairs".
Slovenian Roundabouts
I was quite confused about the rule for giving way at roundabouts for a while but I think I have worked it out: you have to give way to the fastest and/or biggest vehicle.
Magpies
They have them here as well although they are a bit different. I started hearing them for the first time in Piran this year. They don't seem to have the musical skills of our magpies; their call sounding like a broken bicycle bell.
Off to Italy for a week on Wednesday. In the meantime here are the photos from Celje...
No comments:
Post a Comment