13 Sept 2018

Genoa 1

Arrived in Genoa this afternoon after a short two hour train trip. Had a quick walk around and there are some impressive historic buildings. It started well with a very impressive train station and better than expected hotel which appears to be in an old palace. Unfortunately, the waterfront has been spoiled by the building of a variety of new buildings and a road flyover - you can hardly tell Genoa is a port. On top of this some parts of the old town with its narrow streets are seedy at best. It's unfortunate for a once great city state. But maybe I will find a better Genoa tomorrow.

The day started with a photo shoot in the breakfast room. They weren't even taking pictures of the food. Just them in the breakfast room. Then I went to the train station and it was bedlam there: people rushing about, long queues at the ticket machines and at the Cinque Terre information offices. It looked like everyone decided to go to the place at 11am for some reason. There were a lot of Chinese groups too, taking lots of pictures of themselves at the train station. They also looked very happy. Probably just happy to be breathing fresh air. On the train trip I went first class as there was a cheap internet rate. Again, no window, so I moved elsewhere (but asked the conductor). As usual there are people trying it on. If someone comes into the first class carriage only carrying a blue plastic bag, you know he probably didn't purchase a first class ticket. That was confirmed when the conductor came and after a short conversation he was told to move on. Another family mysteriously moved out of the carriage when the conductor entered the carriage. A number of times people didn't start moving from their seats and getting their luggage until after the train stopped at the station. It probably didn't help that the station announcements were inaudible. One person came on with what I thought was a wig. On exiting I noticed it was in fact a dog who apparently was unable to walk. One woman that I saw should have spent her money on a pair of new shoes rather than a first class ticket.

More time to explore Genoa tomorrow!













 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment