Hello, on another trip again, this time Italy. After a taxi, three trains and eight hours made it to La Spezia - without a hitch. You probably haven't heard of this place before as it's not really a tourist place in itself. It's claim to fame is that it is Italy's largest naval port, has a large marina, and is the gateway to the Cinque Terre National Park - which is why I came here and am going there tomorrow. I am using La Spezia as a base as it is cheaper than staying in one of the Cinque Terre villages. La Spezia is located on the west coast of Italy - between Pisa and Genoa. But it's a nice place to visit in itself. As with most Italian cities there are some dodgy bits but it's outweighed by the good bits: nice harbour and some nice old buildings, including the castle from which there were superb views.
While I said that the train trips went without a hitch, that wasn't completely the case. Between Trieste and Venice I had a window seat but there was no window! The seat was positioned so that you only got a bit of window and consequently a neck cramp trying to look out. There was one slight problem between Venice and Florence too when the carriage I was supposed to be in couldn't be used because the air-conditioning was broken, so we were packed into another carriage. This part of the route was the very fast train service between Venice and Rome. When it was doing 160 km/h (not its top speed) it felt like it was just rumbling along and between Bologna and Florence the line was practically all through tunnels.
I am sure suitcases are getting bigger and people insist on dragging them on trains. First, they come on the train, in a state of near collapse, after dragging the thing on. Then they try to maneuver this thing down the aisle, endangering everyone's limbs in the process. I have seen less luggage taken on overseas flights. If you can't carry it - don't bring it. Wheels has just made it to easy to drag your complete wardrobe around while travelling. On some train services they give the announcements in Italian and English. However, the place names are still said in Italian (even when there is an English equivalent). It would also be more understandable (and amusing) if they announced the stops the way an English speaker (not knowing Italian) would butcher them.
While I said that the train trips went without a hitch, that wasn't completely the case. Between Trieste and Venice I had a window seat but there was no window! The seat was positioned so that you only got a bit of window and consequently a neck cramp trying to look out. There was one slight problem between Venice and Florence too when the carriage I was supposed to be in couldn't be used because the air-conditioning was broken, so we were packed into another carriage. This part of the route was the very fast train service between Venice and Rome. When it was doing 160 km/h (not its top speed) it felt like it was just rumbling along and between Bologna and Florence the line was practically all through tunnels.
I am sure suitcases are getting bigger and people insist on dragging them on trains. First, they come on the train, in a state of near collapse, after dragging the thing on. Then they try to maneuver this thing down the aisle, endangering everyone's limbs in the process. I have seen less luggage taken on overseas flights. If you can't carry it - don't bring it. Wheels has just made it to easy to drag your complete wardrobe around while travelling. On some train services they give the announcements in Italian and English. However, the place names are still said in Italian (even when there is an English equivalent). It would also be more understandable (and amusing) if they announced the stops the way an English speaker (not knowing Italian) would butcher them.
No comments:
Post a Comment