Hello, arrived in Mount Gambier yesterday after a six hour bus ride from Adelaide. The trip was pretty uneventful and boring, until we got to the pretty town of Bridgeport (not far from here) which overlooks a very nice beach. Up until then it was brown and dusty. Just before Mount Gambier it greened up with a lot of pine plantations.
Getting back to Adelaide. The bus trip from Goolwa was interesting. Three people (father and his daughter and son) got on the bus on the outskirts of Adelaide, the father was in a wheel chair. The wheel chair kept on moving, the bus driver kept on asking whether they were alright, they kept on saying yes, the wheelchair continued to move around the bus. No one seemed to know how to put the brakes on. Eventually, the bus driver had had enough and moved the wheelchair sideways (instead of facing front on). this didn't seem to help much and so the father moved to a chair and the daughter sat in the wheelchair. After that the wheelchair didn't move anymore. This was all very entertaining but I was concerned, they looked like a family from the Beverley hillbillies and the son looked older than the father.
In Adelaide I was further entertained. A teenager walked past me wearing a pink t-shirt, long pink and white chequered socks, and....sandals. I think he liked pink. I also saw a shirtless skateboarder. I didn't actually see him until he fell and I heard a loud scream of agony. I guess the lesson is wear a shirt while skateboarding. I also saw a group (well I heard them first) on the pedal pub, which is a large cart powered by pedal power in which the fuel is alcohol apparently. Thankfully, the company provides the driver.
Leaving Adelaide someone turned up at the bus station, for another bus, in their bathrobe and pyjamas (maybe they slept in). They didn't seem to get on the bus and weren't happy about it. Surely, it wouldn't be because the bus you aren't allowed to wear pyjamas? On the bus trip out of Adelaide I saw a sign for the "Hispanic Mechanic". Now I'm not sure if that means they specialise in Spanish or Latin American cars (if there are any), or they are targeting the Spanish speaking demographic in Adelaide.
All the hotels so far have required me to pay on check in. Now I'm not sure whether that's because of the type of hotels I am staying at, it's a South Australian thing, or I look dodgy. The hotel I am staying at is an old pub which added accommodation at the rear in the "casa 1960s" look which features arched doorways and an orange and brown coloured facade. It only gets better: it's located next to the community correctional centre and a bottle shop. Maybe that explains why the room has a front and back door. I am thankful I am leaving Friday morning. On the other hand, the hotel restaurant is called the House of Schnitzel and guests get 20% off.
Mount Gambier is much bigger than I thought and is clearly a regional centre for the area, being very busy. It has a long shopping strip which goes on for kilometres. I visited the Crater Lakes today as well and the next blog will include those pictures. But for now pictures of Mount Gambier including the Cave Garden, located in the centre of town, which features, unsurprisingly, a garden in a cave.
Getting back to Adelaide. The bus trip from Goolwa was interesting. Three people (father and his daughter and son) got on the bus on the outskirts of Adelaide, the father was in a wheel chair. The wheel chair kept on moving, the bus driver kept on asking whether they were alright, they kept on saying yes, the wheelchair continued to move around the bus. No one seemed to know how to put the brakes on. Eventually, the bus driver had had enough and moved the wheelchair sideways (instead of facing front on). this didn't seem to help much and so the father moved to a chair and the daughter sat in the wheelchair. After that the wheelchair didn't move anymore. This was all very entertaining but I was concerned, they looked like a family from the Beverley hillbillies and the son looked older than the father.
In Adelaide I was further entertained. A teenager walked past me wearing a pink t-shirt, long pink and white chequered socks, and....sandals. I think he liked pink. I also saw a shirtless skateboarder. I didn't actually see him until he fell and I heard a loud scream of agony. I guess the lesson is wear a shirt while skateboarding. I also saw a group (well I heard them first) on the pedal pub, which is a large cart powered by pedal power in which the fuel is alcohol apparently. Thankfully, the company provides the driver.
Leaving Adelaide someone turned up at the bus station, for another bus, in their bathrobe and pyjamas (maybe they slept in). They didn't seem to get on the bus and weren't happy about it. Surely, it wouldn't be because the bus you aren't allowed to wear pyjamas? On the bus trip out of Adelaide I saw a sign for the "Hispanic Mechanic". Now I'm not sure if that means they specialise in Spanish or Latin American cars (if there are any), or they are targeting the Spanish speaking demographic in Adelaide.
All the hotels so far have required me to pay on check in. Now I'm not sure whether that's because of the type of hotels I am staying at, it's a South Australian thing, or I look dodgy. The hotel I am staying at is an old pub which added accommodation at the rear in the "casa 1960s" look which features arched doorways and an orange and brown coloured facade. It only gets better: it's located next to the community correctional centre and a bottle shop. Maybe that explains why the room has a front and back door. I am thankful I am leaving Friday morning. On the other hand, the hotel restaurant is called the House of Schnitzel and guests get 20% off.
Mount Gambier is much bigger than I thought and is clearly a regional centre for the area, being very busy. It has a long shopping strip which goes on for kilometres. I visited the Crater Lakes today as well and the next blog will include those pictures. But for now pictures of Mount Gambier including the Cave Garden, located in the centre of town, which features, unsurprisingly, a garden in a cave.
No comments:
Post a Comment