17 Jun 2017

Piran Tales

Hello,
Not been doing too much recently. However, I did start doing some cycling, locally, in preparation for my Danube cycling trip which starts on Tuesday. I also went to the start of the Tour of Slovenia cycling race in Koper. This year, thanks to the sponsorship of the tourist board, it is being telecast internationally. A good idea as it showcases the country. Thankfully, it's not been too hot (and particularly humid) here; it has mainly been in the mid to high 20s.

In the meantime a few observations...

Cycling
As I said I went back on the bike for the first time but I think everyone is trying to kill me or at least irritate me (which is probably not hard anyway): pedestrians stepping in front of me (even in the bike lane and even when they can see me approaching); motor home trying to run me over; and people leaving their bikes across the bike track in some sort of obstacle challenge for other cyclists; a person with a baby trailer riding on the wrong side of the bike path who even on seeing me appeared confused on which side of the path she was supposed to be on. I did the new part of the bike track to Koper that was previously a road along the coast (there is an alternative road that goes through a hill). The old road is now a very wide bike and pedestrian path (see the picture below) but it now seems to just attract knuckleheads (i.e. those people that don't seem to know how to ride a bike - including the baby trailer rider mentioned above). One day I was passed by a fast group and then passed by another of their group who was lagging behind. After he passed me, he sat up in front of me and started pushing down on his legs. Why pass me then? Anyway, as he irritated me I decided to burn him off - I passed him and took off down the trail never to be seen again. A few kilometres later I passed his group who were looking for him.
Along a path I ride on they have some exercise equipment at the side as part of a fitness trail. One day I saw someone parked next to one of these unloading his weights. I didn't know that it was in fact a free, public gym.
I also have seen a few electric bikes (probably Germans). They are a hazard - they just go too fast, even around corners.

Parking
The standard of parking has deteriorated. People here now park wherever they want, again (even in the middle of the road). One even "parked" in a spot that was not big enough - no problem - he just parked the front of the car in the spot with the back half hanging out onto the road. I saw that twice in the last few days! It's clear that authorities have taken their foot off the parking enforcement pedal. Although I did see some parking tickets on some cars in Piran the other day. It must be time to get revenue from the tourists.

Tourists
It's interesting that groups of young Italians (i.e. in their early 20s) all look the same. They all have black hair, a black beard (or quasi beard), board shorts and baseball caps. You can only tell them apart because they come in a variety of sizes from dwarf size to basketball players.
On a positive note, an Italian tourist at the supermarket, who had a lot of shopping, waived me ahead of him as I only had a few items. That doesn't happen very often with anyone.
Also I keep getting stopped by tourists, usually Germans, asking me whether I speak English and asking for directions. They struck the jackpot: someone that speaks English and knows the area.
With the amount of German pensioners I have seen in all sorts of places they really do power the European tourist economy.

Tatoos
Saw some people with tattoos on their backs and I thought that makes sense if you feel the urge to graffiti your skin but later regret doing it as it doesn't matter, you really can't see it on your back. It's as if it never existed.

Some local photos taken during my cycling trips etc...












No comments:

Post a Comment