23 Jun 2017

Danube Cyclle Trail 2

Today covered about 60 km to Linz. Linz is Austria's third largest city, so it's a big, busy city but pretty (see last few pictures). Hot again today - in the 30s - but again a breeze blowing off the river especially here at Linz (cooler on the bike). Not too hard but my backside was feeling it for a while.  A day of two halves, the first part was next to a wild part of the Danube in the forest and the second part, from Asbach, was more open and the last bit was right next to a main road with no crash barrier. Crossed another dam wall today (part of the hydro scheme) and was having a race with one of the barges - it passed me for the last time when I stopped for lunch.
No major incidents today apart from a goose making a face at me (lucky it was behind a fence) and almost running over a small yellow and brown speckled bird. It looked like some mutant budgerigar. It was probably some rare species. I checked Wikipedia and it is a Yellowhammer, which has also bee introduced to Australia. It is not rare.
The river doesn't look clean in parts but I see people fishing, and today, for the first time people swimming.
I changed my schedule a bit and am now having lunch on route instead of my main meal being dinner (at the end of the day). That way I do most of my cycling in the cool of the morning but don't get to my hotel before my bag does! Plus the eating places are much cheaper outside the main centres. Today my schnitzel etc. was a better deal (and quality) than the McDonalds I had in Passau. Plus the service was fantastic. That's probably, why, outside of the major cities and tourists, things like McDonald's haven't caught on here as much. I noticed a lot of locals were having lunch there.
The hotel in Linz is very good, as you would expect in a big city. Although the lift buttons clearly indicate a quality distinction. I am in a comfort room unlike the floors above where there are superior rooms. But it's good, the curtains are full size and the wardrobe has a complete door. One thing though in some Austrian hotels is the hot water. They must get their hot water from deep beneath the earth as it takes ages for it to be warm, let alone hot.
A bonus, a brass band have just started a concert below my hotel room. I hope they don't intend playing late.
















No comments:

Post a Comment