22 Jun 2017

Danube Cycle Trail 1

Couldn't send this yesterday as no wi fi...

First day of my Danube cycling trip was from Passau to Schlogen, which is located on a pretty bend of the river. An easy day of about 45 km on a warm but thankfully breezy day. No really spectacular scenery but pleasant cycling along the river.  Didn't spend too much time in Germany as in only 2km out from Passau I was in Austria already. The last bit I had to catch a little ferry from one side of the river to the other (see pictures below) - which they operate at various locations along the river. As I write this another one of those long tourist ships is passing and it's interesting to see how they get round the corner in the river here as they are so long (see picture below). They also produce a huge wake.
As I said, pretty easy day. I have no luggage (it was transported for me as part of the self guided cycling package and didn't get lost) and the bike has skinny tyres which go well on the mainly flat bitumen track. I didn't get lost as the signage here in Austria, as usual is excellent.  Only incident was that I nearly ran over a squirrel which ran across the track - it was one of those skinny, black and very fast forest squirrels. One thing that amazes me is the number of people riding bikes in awkward looking  positions, due to the bike being too big or small, or the seat being too low or too high. It's amazing they don't injure themselves.
The hotel room here in Schlogen is large but a few interesting things. First the building has a different name to that of the accommodation. I think you are supposed to work out that yourself from the address. But nowhere in sight was there a sign with the accomodation name on my hotel voucher (but I did see assign near the ferry landing spit). Then there was the shower. No soap or dispenser but there was a dispenser near the sink. Now I am not sure whether you are supposed to lather up before you get into the shower or you fill up one of the provided glasses from the dispenser, or what. Then there is the wardrobe, it is huge . But it has two sliding doors that only close half of it. I think they went over budget and had to cut two more sliding doors. Finally, pillows again. Huge pillows but they are barely thicker than a blanket. I am not sure what Is going on there. Also good views of the forest from my window, and the main road. I can't complain too much as I went with the cheaper three star hotel option and it has a shower, bed and  tv.












No comments:

Post a Comment