I was lucky on this trek as I was with a great group, friendly and with similar interests. Most were retired and in their 60s and much fitter than me. The guides were great too - both Tasmanians that came up for the season. Apparently Tasmania is the centre of guiding in Australia. In fact up here there is a bit of a Tasmanian influence as the track builders redoing some of the tracks were Tasmanians too and one of the people at the tourist office was from Tasmania.
The base camp, where we stayed, was excellent too, as I said it was in a dry river bed, with large tents, stretches, mattresses, sleeping bags or swags if we wanted to use them. It was in an isolated area, so it was quiet. The toilets were compost ones but clean. No showers but there was a bathing area and we had solar heated water if we wanted it. There was a kitchen area where meals were prepared and that was prepared by the guides who were excellent cooks. Had some power through recharged batteries which powered a full sized fridge. Also had a campfire with chairs where we sat around in the evening. It was really well organised and comfortable. Much better than my campsites! The crows (which are native) would wait until we left camp to see what food they could find. At night the number of stars you could see was amazing.
The walking was not really at the difficult level - perhaps only two of the days were approaching that level but it's no stroll either. Although not hot, it was in the low 20s and sunny all the days,, but it's dry and I was drinking 2 litres during the walks, which is a lot for me - they recommend you take 3 litres. One of the casualties of the trek was my boots, they began disintegrating after two days and we had to do a patch up job with shoe glue. They lasted the distance but have retired to NT but they were about 20 years old.
On our return to Alice Springs we had dinner later that evening and someone approached me trying to sell me a Namatjira painting, somehow I don't think it was an Albert Namatjira but I'm no art expert.
Some more photos...












No comments:
Post a Comment