Today was a big day, 70km traversing Slovenia from Austria in the north to the Croatian border in the south (which is the whole of the Mura trail). Because of transport logistics, I had to catch a train to Austria, an early one. However, when I got to the hotel bike storage area I was parked in by a group. I don't know when these groups ride as I have seen no one on my excursions. Anyway I had to remove four bikes to get mine out. My fault as I parked at the back. Anyway I got the train to Austria and then had to go on another one but I had forgotten to get a ticket for the bike. The cleaner at the change over station saw me trying to find the ticket office (only machines) and took me to the back office for help. I don't know how the person there did it but she generated a ticket from her computer to a ticket machine down the hall. The people in this town, Spielfeld-strasse, could not have been kinder or more helpful. I got off at Mureck, close to the Slovenian border, to start my\ride. After a few false leads (i.e I got lost) I got to the border crossing but before then I saw a female police officer giving what for to a few drivers that had done something or another. At the border, the Mura river, no Slovenian border checks only Austrian ones for people coming in. Then there was some nice cycling with little rough gravel roads for a change. Early on it was foggy and cold and later it was sunny for a change with a bit of wind. I am glad I took my long cycling pants. Didn't see much of the actual river as the trail, which followed roads through villages, keeps away from it for good reason. Saw a few locals on bikes and walking. Also saw a large group of kids on bikes. It looked like the whole school was on the excursion. I came back by train - the museum train again - from Ljutomer which is just off the end of the trail.












No comments:
Post a Comment