3 Sept 2019

Last of the Piran Summer Days

Hello, no big trips over the last few weeks, just local walking and cycling (and writing!). It has been very hot anyway, over 30 most days. But at the end of the week I am off on a road trip to Ljubljana (for a soccer game), Maribor (to do some cycling), and Kranjska Gora (to do more cycling!).

In the meantime, a few observations...

Tourists
Tourists here like to reserve their spots on the beach by leaving their towels or chairs in their favourite spots overnight. When I am out and about early in the day, I sometimes feel the urge to move their stuff somewhere else.

Some of tourists feel the need to hog all available space on paths. Whether they are on bikes or walking they appear to have the need to fill the complete width of the path regardless of how narrow or wide the path is. Usually this manoeuvre is performed by groups of three or more but even people on their own have the need to walk or ride directly down the middle of the path. Maybe because they are on holiday rules of etiquette no longer apply.

Driving
There seems to be a road rule here that buses don't have to give way to pedestrians on crossings unless the pedestrian is over the age of 90 or disabled.

The good thing about European number plates is that they indicate their country. That's important for pedestrians like me as foreigners are far more cautious in their driving in Slovenia with the major exception of Italians. I think they must be scared of committing offences outside their country. You know who to trust and who not to trust. Slovenian number plates are useful too as they indicate which area of Slovenia they are from. If they are local ("KP" for Koper the regional centre) then it's usually safe but if they are from a major city like Ljubljana (LJ) or Maribor (MR) you can't trust them at all. It appears that in Ljubljana or Maribor they don't have pedestrian crossings as, in my experience, they never stop at them when they visit the coast.

Reality TV
I'm now into those reality TV programmes that are about people (usually American hillbillies with guns) looking for creatures like big foots or yetis. They are very entertaining. They set up traps, scout around at night, but never really see or catch anything. There are lots of noises heard (which could be anything) and occasionally a shadow or blurred image. The only time they have caught anything it was deer. They don't really seem to be into the latest technology like game cameras but I guess that wouldn't be as much fun as running around at night with guns.

Americans
Americans seem very keen on the use of the phrase "I'm proud of myself". I think that's American for "I've got a big head".

Internet Privacy
I am not sure how much information the technology companies like Google actually have and collect (or at least how accurate it is). Every time I translate something using Google Translator it puts things in the feminine voice. If they don't even know your gender I have serious doubts about doubts about the quality of their data.

Dogs
I have seen a few Pomeranians being walked by their owners recently. Normally, I don't pay much attention but these dogs always seem to be very happy going on a walk, except when they spot another dog, turn into Mr Hyde, wanting to kill the other dog.

I am also not sure about ribbons on dogs. It raises too many questions. 

Book Discounts!
You can now get 15% discount (until 5 September) off Random Thoughts & Tales or any of my books. You can see all the books I have published on the Lulu Publishing website. Just type in the code ONEFIVE at checkout to get your discount.














No comments:

Post a Comment