The tour has commenced! On Friday I came up by bus to the capital Ljubljana to see the Slovenia-Poland soccer game. good result and the non-stop chanting was very different to Australia. Great atmosphere. Next day travelled to Maribor in the east of Slovenia for some cycling (more of that in later blogs).
A few observations on the trip so far...
Grumpy Bus Driver
Our bus driver from Piran to Ljubljana had a bad day. People kept asking him stupid questions, like where was the bus going. He eventually directed them to the sign on the front of bus and told them they should be more interested in knowing where they were going. But it only got worse. We pulled up at one town and someone asked him the departure time, he asked where are you going, she again asked about the timing. He told her to look up the website, and drove off. Later one of these knuckleheads called him unfriendly.
Interesting People
At the soccer there where some interesting characters. There were the green haired people (see photo) who seemed more interested in getting their face painting right than anything else. Plus there was a man who had his hair shaved in a target pattern. Not sure whether he likes darts or was British or both.
On the train up to Maribor an older man had his shoes off and I noticed a big hole on the heel on one sock. He didn’t look destitute. Maybe he suffers from some medical condition, or perhaps he is frugal or is really attached to those socks.
Language
My Slovenian is getting better but I think I will always speak in an old dialect few understand these days and with an Australian accent. I ordered a doughnut when I was in Ljubljana and got a chocolate filled bun. It was nice but I would’ve preferred a doughnut.
Anyway some pictures from the game and of Maribor...









No comments:
Post a Comment