Today I cycled from Gyor in Hungary to the Slovakian town of Komarno (with a side trip to the Hungarian National Horse Stud at Babolna), a total of about 70km. There were only two good things about today: the weather (sunny and around 30 degrees) and the finish. This is the section of the trail that the Hungarians forgot about. Up until now I was presently surprised with the number and quality of off road cycling paths (although sometimes running parallel to roads) in Hungary forming part of the trail. But I think they gave up at Gyor. Parts of the trail today resembled MTB tracks (see picture below) or consisted of pot holed and patched up roads. Signage was average, I got lost three times. How this can be part of a European cycling path (EuroVelo 6) is a mystery. On top of that there was hardly anything to see of interest, as it was mainly through fields, some decrepit villages and the first part was through an industrial area. Also, I was peddling into a head wind for part of it. As I said the best part was the finish. Komarno has a nice centre but deteriorates on the edges but my room is more like an apartment than a hotel room. However, I have never stayed in a room that is literally next to the reception area. The border between Slovakia and Hungary is the river just down the road, with the Hungarian town of Komarom lying on the other bank (the border is on the bridge pictured below). I came through the Hungarian town on my way to Komarno.
Thank goodness I am cycling on the Slovakian side of the Danube tomorrow but, anyway, it couldn’t get any worse than today.
No comments:
Post a Comment