23 Jul 2018

Vienna - Budapest Danube Cycle Trail - Day 2

Day 2 on the trail was a short 50km from Bratislava to the unpronounceable Hungarian town of Mosonmagyararovar. The trip moved away from the Danuble in the latter part of trip, in Hungary, going through villages and fields. There's a touch of Germanic influence here, being only 15km from the Austrian border. In fact it all is a bit confusing. Just over the border from Slovakia, signs were in Slovakian and Hungarian and at one time Bratislava was the capital of Hungary while Budapest was otherwise occupied (literally). It threatened to rain all day but held off although I think we will get thunderstorms tonight again. Mosonmagyararovar is a nice place with a pedestrianised old town and lies on the Vienna - Budapest railway. It's very health centric; it has thermal pools and spas, lots of places offering massages, and has a disproportionate number doctors and dentists. Also has a lot of clothes shops.

It was a pretty uneventful day however my camera decided to take up residence in Slovakia. I put it down and rode off. I partly retraced my steps but no sign of it. I no doubt made my contribution to the Slovak economy. Luckily I still have the phone camera, although the quality is not as good. Tested the Hungarian version of the schniztel today - not bad but I paid an 'exorbitant' 4000 forints  for my meal which in reality is only 12 euros - a lot cheaper than Austria.

One thing about cycling trails, they don't seem to respect country boundaries, I have travelled from Austria to Slovakia and now into Hungary, not once have I seen a border post or sign. The first you know you are in another country is when the directional signs change languages or you spot a change in car registration plates.

The shortest day tomorrow and still on the Hungarian side of the Danube with the weather to continue to be unsettled.













No comments:

Post a Comment