Hello, I returned about a week ago from my cycling trip and have been readjusting to the humidity here in Piran, particularly as the apartment has heated up while I was away. I don't have air-conditioning, just a fan. In Hungary it was in the low 30s but little or no humidity. Here it has been 34 for the last few days but with around 50% humidity. Next trip is to Kranjska Gora, in the Slovenian mountains, in the last week of the month. Anyway some general reflections on my trip...
The Trip Back
I caught what should be the direct train from Budapest to Slovenia but we had to get off because of track works in Hungary and go on a bus for about 40 minutes. Took about just over four hours to get to the border, then there was another four hours to Ljubljana, the train being slowed by track works. We were late getting to Ljubljana, so I missed my bus connection to Koper/Piran. So I had dinner and then got back on the same train which was leaving for Koper 45 minutes after arriving in Ljubljana! Didn't see much on the train in Hungary except fields and sunflowers. I did see two deer enjoying a farmer's recently mowed field. They seemed unfazed by the passing train.
Slovakia
I didn't see a lot of Slovakia on my cycle trip (we stayed in only two hotels in Slovakia) but I liked Bratislava - at least the compact, pedestrianised, old city centre - and it appeared a very friendly place. Seemed to be a greater Austrian/German influence.
Hungary
Hungary was a bit different, particularly those parts away from its borders with Austria, Slovakia, and Slovenia. It reminded me of the former Yugoslavia. It's clearly very poor - particularly in regional areas - prices are lower than in Slovenia but its infrastructure (particularly roads) is in a bad state, there was little agriculture, a lot of dilapidated houses and buildings, and general untidiness. Budapest was better and that's where the infrastructure money is and has been spent - with a new stadium being built and other construction. The culture reminded me of old Eastern Europe too: poor and grudging service, particularly at restaurants, with waiters chatting among themselves rather than looking after the customers. Most of the time it was as if they really didn't want to be there. However, the few local people I met (not working in service industries) were friendly.
My impression of Hungary was not enhanced by the fact that I was scammed (or rather robbed). I mentioned the police check in Budapest in the previous blog. When I got back to my hotel I noticed some euros were missing from my wallet after "police" checked my documents and currency. I was unbelievably gullible and really didn't expect to be scammed at a major public attraction on a Sunday morning. I knew the Hungarians were paranoid about security and illegal immigrants and so getting checked by police was not a surprise. I should have been more wary.
In fact, the Hungarian government might do better than blame immigrants (which they don't have) and the European Community for their problems. I think their problems lie closer to home. Coming back to Slovenia was like going forward 10 years. I can see why the Hungarians didn't get on with the Austrians when they were in the same empire.
Television
Hungarian and Slovakian TV have also caught the dubbing disease which has inflicted most of Europe these days. Sometimes the results are hilarious.
A particularly innovative programme I saw on Hungarian TV was a quiz programme combined with a war game.
Sometimes CNN was the only English channel available. I soon got sick of it as it was mainly minute by minute analysis of latest Trump actions. Surely, other things are happening in the world!
Food
A few things I noticed: Hungarians like spicier foods (they like paprika) than the Slovakians. Hungarians also prefer cucumbers as their salads and like their potatoes in the form of croquettes.
Accommodation
The hotels I stayed at were quite good particularly in the larger cities. Also the older the hotel, the larger and more comfortable the rooms were. The one exception was an old hotel in a smaller town which had a very low and hard bed. Probably prison issue.
Border Controls
Although I cycled from Austria into Slovakia and then criss-crossed into and out of Hungary, I never saw one border post or even a hint of passport control. Only in Slovakia did the hotels take passport details for notification to police. It seems to me that people smugglers might be more successful if they put their clients on bikes.
Some local photos...
The Trip Back
I caught what should be the direct train from Budapest to Slovenia but we had to get off because of track works in Hungary and go on a bus for about 40 minutes. Took about just over four hours to get to the border, then there was another four hours to Ljubljana, the train being slowed by track works. We were late getting to Ljubljana, so I missed my bus connection to Koper/Piran. So I had dinner and then got back on the same train which was leaving for Koper 45 minutes after arriving in Ljubljana! Didn't see much on the train in Hungary except fields and sunflowers. I did see two deer enjoying a farmer's recently mowed field. They seemed unfazed by the passing train.
Slovakia
I didn't see a lot of Slovakia on my cycle trip (we stayed in only two hotels in Slovakia) but I liked Bratislava - at least the compact, pedestrianised, old city centre - and it appeared a very friendly place. Seemed to be a greater Austrian/German influence.
Hungary
Hungary was a bit different, particularly those parts away from its borders with Austria, Slovakia, and Slovenia. It reminded me of the former Yugoslavia. It's clearly very poor - particularly in regional areas - prices are lower than in Slovenia but its infrastructure (particularly roads) is in a bad state, there was little agriculture, a lot of dilapidated houses and buildings, and general untidiness. Budapest was better and that's where the infrastructure money is and has been spent - with a new stadium being built and other construction. The culture reminded me of old Eastern Europe too: poor and grudging service, particularly at restaurants, with waiters chatting among themselves rather than looking after the customers. Most of the time it was as if they really didn't want to be there. However, the few local people I met (not working in service industries) were friendly.
My impression of Hungary was not enhanced by the fact that I was scammed (or rather robbed). I mentioned the police check in Budapest in the previous blog. When I got back to my hotel I noticed some euros were missing from my wallet after "police" checked my documents and currency. I was unbelievably gullible and really didn't expect to be scammed at a major public attraction on a Sunday morning. I knew the Hungarians were paranoid about security and illegal immigrants and so getting checked by police was not a surprise. I should have been more wary.
In fact, the Hungarian government might do better than blame immigrants (which they don't have) and the European Community for their problems. I think their problems lie closer to home. Coming back to Slovenia was like going forward 10 years. I can see why the Hungarians didn't get on with the Austrians when they were in the same empire.
Television
Hungarian and Slovakian TV have also caught the dubbing disease which has inflicted most of Europe these days. Sometimes the results are hilarious.
A particularly innovative programme I saw on Hungarian TV was a quiz programme combined with a war game.
Sometimes CNN was the only English channel available. I soon got sick of it as it was mainly minute by minute analysis of latest Trump actions. Surely, other things are happening in the world!
Food
A few things I noticed: Hungarians like spicier foods (they like paprika) than the Slovakians. Hungarians also prefer cucumbers as their salads and like their potatoes in the form of croquettes.
Accommodation
The hotels I stayed at were quite good particularly in the larger cities. Also the older the hotel, the larger and more comfortable the rooms were. The one exception was an old hotel in a smaller town which had a very low and hard bed. Probably prison issue.
Border Controls
Although I cycled from Austria into Slovakia and then criss-crossed into and out of Hungary, I never saw one border post or even a hint of passport control. Only in Slovakia did the hotels take passport details for notification to police. It seems to me that people smugglers might be more successful if they put their clients on bikes.
Some local photos...
No comments:
Post a Comment