Hello, just a few final observations (aka whinges) from my recent cycle tour and and a few other thoughts....
At the End of my Cycle Trip
At the end of my trip to Gippsland I stayed in Bairnsdale again - same hotel but none of the security risks this time - and noticed a few interesting businesses. There was the skidz driving school - not sure what type of driving they teach there, and saw a truck with huge lettering on the side: MAFFRA KNACKERY. There no beating about the bush there about what they do.
On the train trip back the first person to get on the train was a person who didn't know where she was. First she put away her luggage, with some difficulty, then she proceeded to find her ticket and then check to see where she was sitting. In the meantime, a conga line had formed behind her (holding up the train of course) of which she was completely oblivious. Why do these people always have to be first on the train?
Observations from TV
It appears that, according to the promos, some of those reality TV programmes are in fact social experiments and and not simply cruelly exploiting people. Perhaps it's just me but these social experiments seem have as much scientific value as a kid playing with insects.
Based on the TV programmes I have seen, they don't have any deadlocks in England. It appears pretty easy to get into a house in England: break the the window in, or next to, the door, put your hand through and open the door and you are in. Another business opportunity.
I saw an ad for a betting company which was offering a $1m prize if you could pick the 10 winners of a select list of world sporting events. I don't think that's betting, more like a donation.
According to a report on ABC News the Israeli PM was going to have lunch with some Australian politicians and characters. Not sure if the Bananas in Pyjamas or Humphrey B. Bear were invited.
I noticed also that A Current Affair were promoting one of their really big lead stories: people being overcharged on their wheelie bins. I think a referral to IBAC is in order. It is still a national current affairs programme isn't it?
I saw a local news story about a 10 car pile up in Wodonga. They must be really bad drivers there as I have never seen 10 cars at the one time in Wodonga.
In another local story, the oultlaw motorcycle gang that wanted a permit to open a function centre (see blog: worldmog.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/more-random-thoughts.html) had its application rejected because it didn't have enough parking spots. Miraculously, a couple of weeks later the permit was approved by the council with "strict conditions" on opening hours and numbers of people. Good luck with that one.
Bananas
I think they have broken Australian bananas. First, they started to get stringy, now they are increasingly hard to peel. This is unlike the bananas in Europe (which come from South America etc.) which are easy to peel but don't last more than three days before they go rotten.
Interesting People
Perhaps because I am not in Melbourne as often but I notice a lot more weird looking people about. There was the one at the station that had a union jack jacket and a bandana that looked more like an old style nurses hat (his girlfriend should have said something). Also saw Super Mario in Nandos; someone who appeared to be hailing Flinders Street Station and a Chinese man with a black tracksuit with gold Chinese motifs and Greek writing. In Hoppers Crossing saw a man with sunglasses and a scarf up to his nose. It wasn't that cold.
Then there was the person on the phone, in the toilets at Southern Cross Station, complaining to the Flinders Street property office about their inability to find his stuff as on two previous occasions (this was the third) when he left stuff on the train they were unable to recover his items. Quite clearly he's not the problem, he is a victim.......of his stupidity.
More locally, one morning about 8am on my way to the shops I saw an undertaker van with a coffin in the back headed into town, I thought that was a bit strange. A few weeks later I saw the van parked in a carport around the corner from my house. Clearly the person had started a new job. I am just hoping his isn't taking work home to impress his bosses.
Mobile Phone Usage on Public Transport
I have often complained about this but now there is a technological solution. It's the Hushme.
I hope they make it work on mobile phones. If so, it should be made compulsory on all public transport or at least for those that intend to drone on for more than five minutes.
Off to Mt Hotham next week for some day walks. But here are some pictures from the hills south of Bright...
At the End of my Cycle Trip
At the end of my trip to Gippsland I stayed in Bairnsdale again - same hotel but none of the security risks this time - and noticed a few interesting businesses. There was the skidz driving school - not sure what type of driving they teach there, and saw a truck with huge lettering on the side: MAFFRA KNACKERY. There no beating about the bush there about what they do.
On the train trip back the first person to get on the train was a person who didn't know where she was. First she put away her luggage, with some difficulty, then she proceeded to find her ticket and then check to see where she was sitting. In the meantime, a conga line had formed behind her (holding up the train of course) of which she was completely oblivious. Why do these people always have to be first on the train?
Observations from TV
It appears that, according to the promos, some of those reality TV programmes are in fact social experiments and and not simply cruelly exploiting people. Perhaps it's just me but these social experiments seem have as much scientific value as a kid playing with insects.
Based on the TV programmes I have seen, they don't have any deadlocks in England. It appears pretty easy to get into a house in England: break the the window in, or next to, the door, put your hand through and open the door and you are in. Another business opportunity.
I saw an ad for a betting company which was offering a $1m prize if you could pick the 10 winners of a select list of world sporting events. I don't think that's betting, more like a donation.
According to a report on ABC News the Israeli PM was going to have lunch with some Australian politicians and characters. Not sure if the Bananas in Pyjamas or Humphrey B. Bear were invited.
I noticed also that A Current Affair were promoting one of their really big lead stories: people being overcharged on their wheelie bins. I think a referral to IBAC is in order. It is still a national current affairs programme isn't it?
I saw a local news story about a 10 car pile up in Wodonga. They must be really bad drivers there as I have never seen 10 cars at the one time in Wodonga.
In another local story, the oultlaw motorcycle gang that wanted a permit to open a function centre (see blog: worldmog.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/more-random-thoughts.html) had its application rejected because it didn't have enough parking spots. Miraculously, a couple of weeks later the permit was approved by the council with "strict conditions" on opening hours and numbers of people. Good luck with that one.
Bananas
I think they have broken Australian bananas. First, they started to get stringy, now they are increasingly hard to peel. This is unlike the bananas in Europe (which come from South America etc.) which are easy to peel but don't last more than three days before they go rotten.
Interesting People
Perhaps because I am not in Melbourne as often but I notice a lot more weird looking people about. There was the one at the station that had a union jack jacket and a bandana that looked more like an old style nurses hat (his girlfriend should have said something). Also saw Super Mario in Nandos; someone who appeared to be hailing Flinders Street Station and a Chinese man with a black tracksuit with gold Chinese motifs and Greek writing. In Hoppers Crossing saw a man with sunglasses and a scarf up to his nose. It wasn't that cold.
Then there was the person on the phone, in the toilets at Southern Cross Station, complaining to the Flinders Street property office about their inability to find his stuff as on two previous occasions (this was the third) when he left stuff on the train they were unable to recover his items. Quite clearly he's not the problem, he is a victim.......of his stupidity.
More locally, one morning about 8am on my way to the shops I saw an undertaker van with a coffin in the back headed into town, I thought that was a bit strange. A few weeks later I saw the van parked in a carport around the corner from my house. Clearly the person had started a new job. I am just hoping his isn't taking work home to impress his bosses.
Mobile Phone Usage on Public Transport
I have often complained about this but now there is a technological solution. It's the Hushme.
I hope they make it work on mobile phones. If so, it should be made compulsory on all public transport or at least for those that intend to drone on for more than five minutes.
Off to Mt Hotham next week for some day walks. But here are some pictures from the hills south of Bright...
No comments:
Post a Comment