This is day 5b because I don’t have most of the pictures I took today in the blog as I had a technical problem with my camera; the battery ran out. I knew this was coming as I forgot the recharge cable at home. I’ll publish those pictures in another blog when I get back to Piran tomorrow. Anyway back to today. It was shorter, only 40km, from Senožeče to the village of Črni Kal but I took my time as the guest house (as they call it) had a later check in time. Particularly at the end I went through a number of pretty villages with spectacular views, particularly above Črni Kal, at Kraški rob (with castle ruins nearby). The route I have been taking from Ljubljana is part of European path, Eurovelo 9, but it has not been officially mapped and marked from Ljubljana yet but there is an app that I have been using that someone put together. It’s quite good and tries to avoid major roads. That means many gravel roads, some better than others. I am glad I use a mountain bike as some of the roads earlier in the day were very bad. However, today I had to ignore the app route for one small section and take a major road instead as the suggested route followed an old, overgrown, disused, farm track - and it was heading up hill.
Unfortunately, things got a bit angry today. I got to my accomodation and noticed the adjacent restaurant were on holidays (that was to be dinner). It only got worse from there. I was half an hour early but on the door it said check in was open at 3pm. I waited, nothing happened so I rang the suggested number. The person said she would get someone to let me in. Ten minutes later i get a call, no one can come until 4.30pm! I told her I was not happy or words to that effect. So I decided to go back up the hill and have an early dinner at a fast food place I had passed. I get a call, you can let yourself in and wait in the foyer by using the keypad. I said no I will have dinner. Just after 4pm I get a call, and another apology, with advice that reception was now open. When I got there, no apology (this was a different person) but I got a free token for the coffee machine. Woo-hoo. The place got a 8.6 rating on booking.com and this is displayed everywhere you look. I can see why, it’s aimed at a certain demographic. It’s effectively a yuppie hostel. It’s not too expensive, it has exposed rock in the room, an old door on wheels for the bathroom (which doesn’t close all the way), a washroom (i.e shower without a door) - which it certainly was when I had finished with it, a farmystyle sink, no taps (just toggles and dials), and no TV (that’s in the communal area I think) but super fast wifi of course. It won’t be getting an 8.6 from me. Last day tomorrow!











You're certainly living the life Mick! (Peter Mericka)
ReplyDelete