10 Feb 2019

Hobart

Hello from Tasmania! Arrived in Hobart yesterday (Saturday) for my walking tour that starts tomorrow (Monday). Today I went up to Mount Wellington (the mountain that overlooks Hobart) and to the Wooden Boat Festival. The weather wasn't the best up the mountain but at least it didn't rain, although it was like being in Antarctica on top with fog and a strong freezing wind (it's 1271 metres high and therefore quiet exposed). I got off there very quickly.

The Trip to Hobart
As usual my plane was late taking off from Hobart due to a passenger turning up 10 minutes late. Although I suspect he was on a connecting flight from up north all of which were late coming into Melbourne. I was however concerned when the pilot announced after we got on the plane that we would land in Hobart at 2.20pm. The flight was scheduled to take off at 2.50pm. I think he was a bit confused but he did seem to know where he was going and how to fly the plane.

Hobart
It's certainly not a warm place. 17 yesterday and a balmy 23 today. Although atop Mount Wellington it was more like 1. Hobart is a lot hilly than I remember or it could be this time I am staying at a hotel on top of a hill.

Mount Wellington Walk
It didn't start off well. I had to take a local bus to the base of Mount Wellington before starting my walk at Fern Tree. Unfortunately, I got off the wrong stop (the last stop) which turned out to be a few kilometres past the start of the tracks. A couple also got off the same (wrong) stop as they thought I knew what I was doing. Gee did they make a big mistake. The bus driver very kindly let us ride on the bus back to the right stop for free. After that it was a grind at times, as I got higher the track became increasingly rocky but despite the weather the views on the way up were great. As I said on top of Mount Wellington it was like Antarctica but I was surprised by how many tourists were running around up there, some taking pictures of themselves in the fog. On the way down I went to a lookout from some cliffs and incredibly they had installed a child proof gate (like they have for swimming pools) to restrict access to it. People must sure be stupid around here.

Some pictures...
















No comments:

Post a Comment