Hello, I visited Trieste again to do some more walks yesterday. This blog covers the first walk. I caught the bus up to Obelisco (obilisk) which sits above Trieste and from which there are nice views down. The obelisk was erected in 1830 to commemorate the completion of the first proper
high road across the Karst, connecting Vienna with its seaport on the
Adriatic. Normally this area is accessed by the funicular tram that runs up to the border village of Villa Opicina but they had a slight crash a couple of years back and it's currently not operating. The obelisk also marks the start of the Strada Napoleonica (Napoleon's Road) which is a walking track which follows the road taken by Napoleon when he entered Trieste in the 1700s. The trail basically runs at an altitude of about 300 metres, parallel to the coastal walk that I took to Miramare Castle the other day, and ends up at the village/suburb of Prosecco. It's only a short path, about 5km and mainly flat. I also took a detour up to the modernistic Monte Grisa church. Great views all round and it was such a clear day you could see back to Piran and the Croatian coast.
No comments:
Post a Comment