Hello, well it has been really hot here recently, then cooled down, now back to temperatures in the mid 30s. Still can't ride my bike because of my finger injury which has sort of healed (it can move now) but still needs a couple of weeks rehabilitation. No trips until the end of the month but I do have some observations (and photos too):
Hoppers Crossing
Always interesting to come back to Melbourne. I saw two people on the train on a 30 degree day wearing woolly hats. I guess they have very sweaty heads. Also installing trampolines in the front yard is now all the rage in the suburbs. I wonder if that is to show off the kid's skills or they didn't want it to blight their backyard. I wonder when they will start building swimming pools in front yards.
On my way to Hoppers Crossing railway station came across a few interesting things. First there was an abandoned bike share bike - 30km away from the nearest rack - that must have been some ride. Then I spotted two neat holes where trees used to be on the nature strip. I think some people just regard nature strips as extensions of plant nurseries - except you can get the plant for free. Also saw a car with the personalised number plate POT4TO. It puzzled me a bit. Did this signify a marijuana user or someone that just loves being pulled over by the police. On the main road I saw a real estate agent sign that declared that the main attraction of the house for sale was its main road exposure. I wonder whether they mean that it is noisy, polluted, and you can't get out of your driveway because of the traffic. The local shops were interesting. It was Australia Day and the Chinese takeaway was showing solidarity by being opened but closed on Monday. Also the pizza shop had a sign declaring "pizza is life". I guess it is if you are literally starving to death, otherwise I think they are overreaching.
Media
The local commercial radio station has had a change of format with the start of the year. Apparently, they think we need Melbourne style breakfast radio with a male and female announcer who have clearly drunk too much coffee talking about rubbish, like one explaining the rules of tennis to the other, eating Doritos. A lot of giggling is apparently required in this format too.
I saw on the TV news a report about the number of people that turned up in the middle of the night to see a huge generator being transported to Port Melbourne. Clearly there are a lot of people with insomnia or nothing better to do with their lives. If you missed it, see the report here.
Fitbit
I got a fitbit because as you get older you think technology will make you fitter. But the ones with a heart rate monitor are a useful way to keep a check on whether you are still alive. Russian hackers are probably watching my every move.
Knucklehead Pastimes
The latest one is goat yoga, which involves doing yoga while goats walk on you. Check out YouTube.
Some photos from my regular Huggins lookout walk, just above Bright...
And finally some great photos from Slovenia (from my cousin Miran). Apparently they have had a bit of snow...
Hoppers Crossing
Always interesting to come back to Melbourne. I saw two people on the train on a 30 degree day wearing woolly hats. I guess they have very sweaty heads. Also installing trampolines in the front yard is now all the rage in the suburbs. I wonder if that is to show off the kid's skills or they didn't want it to blight their backyard. I wonder when they will start building swimming pools in front yards.
On my way to Hoppers Crossing railway station came across a few interesting things. First there was an abandoned bike share bike - 30km away from the nearest rack - that must have been some ride. Then I spotted two neat holes where trees used to be on the nature strip. I think some people just regard nature strips as extensions of plant nurseries - except you can get the plant for free. Also saw a car with the personalised number plate POT4TO. It puzzled me a bit. Did this signify a marijuana user or someone that just loves being pulled over by the police. On the main road I saw a real estate agent sign that declared that the main attraction of the house for sale was its main road exposure. I wonder whether they mean that it is noisy, polluted, and you can't get out of your driveway because of the traffic. The local shops were interesting. It was Australia Day and the Chinese takeaway was showing solidarity by being opened but closed on Monday. Also the pizza shop had a sign declaring "pizza is life". I guess it is if you are literally starving to death, otherwise I think they are overreaching.
Media
The local commercial radio station has had a change of format with the start of the year. Apparently, they think we need Melbourne style breakfast radio with a male and female announcer who have clearly drunk too much coffee talking about rubbish, like one explaining the rules of tennis to the other, eating Doritos. A lot of giggling is apparently required in this format too.
I saw on the TV news a report about the number of people that turned up in the middle of the night to see a huge generator being transported to Port Melbourne. Clearly there are a lot of people with insomnia or nothing better to do with their lives. If you missed it, see the report here.
Fitbit
I got a fitbit because as you get older you think technology will make you fitter. But the ones with a heart rate monitor are a useful way to keep a check on whether you are still alive. Russian hackers are probably watching my every move.
Knucklehead Pastimes
The latest one is goat yoga, which involves doing yoga while goats walk on you. Check out YouTube.
Some photos from my regular Huggins lookout walk, just above Bright...
And finally some great photos from Slovenia (from my cousin Miran). Apparently they have had a bit of snow...




No comments:
Post a Comment