Hello, the paragliding world cup is being held here in Bright, and I have some pictures from my backyard, below (you will have to squint to see the paragliders), And here are some observations including from my recent trips to Melbourne, mainly to see the soccer (pictures also below):
Local Developments
The local mechanic's garage here in Bright has now become come a distillery and roastery. I am not sure whether that was a change in business direction for the owner but I don't know whether I would want to drink in an old garage.
On a walk I saw a sign prohibiting smoking on a seat outside an old people's home (see picture below). Personally, I think it's a bit late and pointless to stop them smoking now.
As you probably know, post offices sell all sorts of stuff these days in addition to mail related items. The other day in my local post office I saw Wombat poo chocolate for sale. Now I assume that's actual chocolate shaped like wombat poo. I am not sure who that product is aimed at. If it's at children I don't think it's advisable to teach them wombat poo tastes like chocolate.
I continue to have wildlife issues. A grey native mouse scuttled across my deck the other day. It was either that or a handsome rat. Then there are the daddy long leg spiders which always build up their numbers when I am away. They like to stay in the bedrooms as it's quieter there, they don't seem to like TV.
Public Transport
As I have said repeatedly, travelling to and from Melbourne is always an adventure. On the bus to Wangaratta, there was an older woman that got on the bus that had so much shiny jewellery on she sparkled like a Swarovski crystal display. She also had, apparently, showered in perfume. She had so much of it on, it lowered the oxygen levels in the bus and consequently I was getting increasingly drowsy.
Based on my return train trip, it now appears to be a key selection criteria for conductors that they have a tattoo on the top part of their head. Both conductors had them.
Melbourne
All they seem to be building in Melbourne these days are "luxury apartments". Who is building the hovels?
I spent a bit of time in the city this last visit and based on the shape of one person's ears, I think I saw an elf, a Vulcan or a relative of Yoda. I am not sure which as I only saw him from behind. I was also amazed with the number of young people in the city shopping. Don't they go to school or university and where are they getting the money?
Business also seems to be a bit slow in the city. A barber was offering free beer and a chemist was offering a free meds test. I am not sure whether they intended to test your medicine or test you.
I always get concerned about skinny men with baseball caps carting plastic bags making their way purposefully to the last cubicle in public toilets. Maybe, it's just me.
One of the events I saw in Melbourne was Senior Moments on at the Comedy Theatre. I was one of the youngest there (it was an afternoon session). Based on some of the comments after the show, I don't think some of the attendees anticipated that the show was going to poke fun at them. I would have thought the title of the show would have given it away.
Winter Olympics
I'm a bit disappointed with the TV coverage. Although it is in out time zone, the sports I am interested are on very late. Otherwise all you seem to see is figure skating and aerial skiing. To me figure skating goes on too long, it's almost like a cricket match. And moguls, sorry, I can't pick the difference between a good run and a bad one. It all looks the same to me. At least in luge, bobsled and skeleton you can tell when they have had a bad run; it's when they have ended up upside down.
Off to Dinner Plain next week....
Local Developments
The local mechanic's garage here in Bright has now become come a distillery and roastery. I am not sure whether that was a change in business direction for the owner but I don't know whether I would want to drink in an old garage.
On a walk I saw a sign prohibiting smoking on a seat outside an old people's home (see picture below). Personally, I think it's a bit late and pointless to stop them smoking now.
As you probably know, post offices sell all sorts of stuff these days in addition to mail related items. The other day in my local post office I saw Wombat poo chocolate for sale. Now I assume that's actual chocolate shaped like wombat poo. I am not sure who that product is aimed at. If it's at children I don't think it's advisable to teach them wombat poo tastes like chocolate.
I continue to have wildlife issues. A grey native mouse scuttled across my deck the other day. It was either that or a handsome rat. Then there are the daddy long leg spiders which always build up their numbers when I am away. They like to stay in the bedrooms as it's quieter there, they don't seem to like TV.
Public Transport
As I have said repeatedly, travelling to and from Melbourne is always an adventure. On the bus to Wangaratta, there was an older woman that got on the bus that had so much shiny jewellery on she sparkled like a Swarovski crystal display. She also had, apparently, showered in perfume. She had so much of it on, it lowered the oxygen levels in the bus and consequently I was getting increasingly drowsy.
Based on my return train trip, it now appears to be a key selection criteria for conductors that they have a tattoo on the top part of their head. Both conductors had them.
Melbourne
All they seem to be building in Melbourne these days are "luxury apartments". Who is building the hovels?
I spent a bit of time in the city this last visit and based on the shape of one person's ears, I think I saw an elf, a Vulcan or a relative of Yoda. I am not sure which as I only saw him from behind. I was also amazed with the number of young people in the city shopping. Don't they go to school or university and where are they getting the money?
Business also seems to be a bit slow in the city. A barber was offering free beer and a chemist was offering a free meds test. I am not sure whether they intended to test your medicine or test you.
I always get concerned about skinny men with baseball caps carting plastic bags making their way purposefully to the last cubicle in public toilets. Maybe, it's just me.
One of the events I saw in Melbourne was Senior Moments on at the Comedy Theatre. I was one of the youngest there (it was an afternoon session). Based on some of the comments after the show, I don't think some of the attendees anticipated that the show was going to poke fun at them. I would have thought the title of the show would have given it away.
Winter Olympics
I'm a bit disappointed with the TV coverage. Although it is in out time zone, the sports I am interested are on very late. Otherwise all you seem to see is figure skating and aerial skiing. To me figure skating goes on too long, it's almost like a cricket match. And moguls, sorry, I can't pick the difference between a good run and a bad one. It all looks the same to me. At least in luge, bobsled and skeleton you can tell when they have had a bad run; it's when they have ended up upside down.
Off to Dinner Plain next week....
No comments:
Post a Comment