10 Oct 2017

Really Last Days in Piran

Hello again, only 2 weeks till I come back and the weather here is still holding up although much more variable. This time last year I had the heater on!

Some further observations...

Slovenian Sport
It was remiss of me to mention that Slovenia won the European basketball championship recently. The smallest country in the competition. They beat Serbia in the final with, ironically, a Serbian coach in charge of Slovenia. What was also ironic was that a Slovenian insurance company was sponsor of the opposition, Serbia. I guess that evened things up a bit. This is the first Slovenian team ever to win a championship. 
This event, though, was followed up by not qualifying for the Soccer World Cup next year.

Emergency Health Care
A problem here, also, is people going to hospital emergency wards when it's not an emergency. The solution has been to start charging those people.

Public Transport
A woman lost her husband on the bus the other day. Because it was full (mainly students) he sat behind here. When we stopped at a bus stop, at which a large number of people got off, he disappeared. She looked around on the bus and eventually got off at the stop. Obviously they weren't on the same page as far as destination was concerned.
In fact whenever I travel on the local bus it always appears to be full of students, in the morning and in the afternoon (as they finish in the early afternoon). I also see them around the shops at morning tea time and then lunchtime. One wonders how much time they actually spend in school. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the education though as Slovenia is one of the highest ranked countries, in the OECD, as far as educational standards are concerned. Maybe they get a lot of homework.

And finally some local photos...


















No comments:

Post a Comment