Completed day one of my Gippsland rail trail tour today that was the Gippsland Plains Rail Trail from Traralgon to Stratford (67 km). The major issue was getting to the start of the the trail at Traralgon with a bus and two trains, took me almost 8 hours to get here but no hassles with all transport having provision for bikes. Stayed at Traralgon yesterday, I like Traralgon and so do a lot of other people as is evidenced by all the new housing estates. Hotel owners were very friendly and asked me to email them on how I went on my trip.
No major incidents on the trail today, it was cool and cloudy with lots of birds and cows and nice views of the Victorian alps. It's a good, graveL trail with lots of towns along the route offering accommodation and food but I did it in a day. Saw some interesting signs. In Maffra there was a sign outside a shop stating "diabetics Victoria...available within". I am not exactly sure what you get there. Also in Stratford, the hotel has a sign prohibiting animals. I am wondering whether they are using the word in the narrow or broad sense.
Arrangements at the hotel in Stratford where I am staying today are interesting; key is just left in the door and when you check out you leave it in the door and go. Interesting that the major town in the area is Maffra (about 10km away) but it is Stratford that has the railways station and the main highway running through it.
Tomorrow is a transitional stage, going via back roads to get to Bairnsdale and the start of another but longer rail trail.
Now for some pictures....




















No comments:
Post a Comment