Hello,
Only trips to Melbourne recently to go to the soccer etc. but looking forward to the next big trip which is a cycle trip next week along a couple of Gippsland rail trails. But I have a few observations nevertheless.....
Public Transport
Where seat belts are fitted on some buses I have observed that, particularly, old people struggle to find them and then put them on. An idea: a device that clamps them in as soon as they sit in the seat. No thought needed.
Melbourne trains always offer entertainment: on one trip there was a disco happening on the train as well as someone on the phone who appeared to be calling a horse race. On the same trip the driver apparently was trying to set the new speed record between Newport and Laverton, you could smell the brakes as we slowed down near Laverton.
Hoppers Crossing
I used to live in this suburb and I stay there when I am in Melbourne. It's an interesting place. On my last visit noticed a few things apart from the kids that apparently felt the urge to open the doors while the train was in motion. There were two motorists driving parallel down the road while conducting a conversation. Then there was the person on a disability scooter. Nothing unusual apart from the fact that it was black, had mag wheels with the driver wearing a black leather jacket and hat. Living the dream. In Hoppers Crossing you can tell who the renters are as their front yard is usually covered in at least knee high grass and weeds, with usually a couple of cars parked there as well.
Buskers
I think the standards are slipping. I don't think it's right for them to have taped backing music (where do they get the electricity from anyway?). It's like they really can't be bothered. Also saw a small child playing a violin (badly) - obviously relying more on her cuteness than her musical ability. I blame Oprah Winfrey.
News Stories
Saw a TV news item where a woman leaving court was covering her face with a piece of paper. But she was wearing a burka. Maybe she thought somebody could identify her from her burka?
Another item concerned a suspect they were looking for who the witness said had a lazy eye. Maybe the witness was an optometrist as lazy eyes aren't always obvious (and I should know)
In local news, an outlaw motorcycle gang raided by police and closed down in Albury a while ago has applied for a permit to set up a function centre on the site. I wonder what sort of functions they plan to hold there? Anyway police have objected to the application.
In Slovenia the latest strike is that of the philharmonic orchestra. They cancelled the regular New Year's concert. Somewhow that threat didn't have the desired effect. Talking about New Year there were many great fireworks displays around the world but Melbourne's fireworks were more like a world war one battlefield than a fireworks display.
TV Ads
Can someone please explain what the Ford ad is about that involves a car slaloming around giant water sprinklers? I just can't imagine the scene at the ad agency when someone said "I know, why don't we have a car slaloming about giant water sprinklers?" The latest Holden ad is somewhat curious too. It features someone saying that the new Astra has taken on a real European styling. That might be because it's built in Germany and its just a rebadged German car.
I saw an advertisement for the big bash cricket, but its main message, though, was to come dressed up. Not sure whether they are promoting a sporting event or a fancy dress party.
Soccer
Sometimes it's obvious when non-regular spectators attend Melbourne Victory matches. The last time I sat next to a few people that needed to occupy not only their seats but the seats below them too. Most of the time they were more interested in their phones, what the crowd was doing or catching up on gossip. They had those giant phones, you know, those apparently designed for the visually impaired or people with poor limb control. All this was interspersed with random shouting at the players and insightful comments like: "If the goalkeeper hadn't touched that it would have gone in".
Lycra
Apparently these days you need to wear a singlet and tights when you are walking a dog or pushing a pram.
Rail Trail
And finally, some pictures...
Only trips to Melbourne recently to go to the soccer etc. but looking forward to the next big trip which is a cycle trip next week along a couple of Gippsland rail trails. But I have a few observations nevertheless.....
Public Transport
Where seat belts are fitted on some buses I have observed that, particularly, old people struggle to find them and then put them on. An idea: a device that clamps them in as soon as they sit in the seat. No thought needed.
Melbourne trains always offer entertainment: on one trip there was a disco happening on the train as well as someone on the phone who appeared to be calling a horse race. On the same trip the driver apparently was trying to set the new speed record between Newport and Laverton, you could smell the brakes as we slowed down near Laverton.
Hoppers Crossing
I used to live in this suburb and I stay there when I am in Melbourne. It's an interesting place. On my last visit noticed a few things apart from the kids that apparently felt the urge to open the doors while the train was in motion. There were two motorists driving parallel down the road while conducting a conversation. Then there was the person on a disability scooter. Nothing unusual apart from the fact that it was black, had mag wheels with the driver wearing a black leather jacket and hat. Living the dream. In Hoppers Crossing you can tell who the renters are as their front yard is usually covered in at least knee high grass and weeds, with usually a couple of cars parked there as well.
Buskers
I think the standards are slipping. I don't think it's right for them to have taped backing music (where do they get the electricity from anyway?). It's like they really can't be bothered. Also saw a small child playing a violin (badly) - obviously relying more on her cuteness than her musical ability. I blame Oprah Winfrey.
News Stories
Saw a TV news item where a woman leaving court was covering her face with a piece of paper. But she was wearing a burka. Maybe she thought somebody could identify her from her burka?
Another item concerned a suspect they were looking for who the witness said had a lazy eye. Maybe the witness was an optometrist as lazy eyes aren't always obvious (and I should know)
In local news, an outlaw motorcycle gang raided by police and closed down in Albury a while ago has applied for a permit to set up a function centre on the site. I wonder what sort of functions they plan to hold there? Anyway police have objected to the application.
In Slovenia the latest strike is that of the philharmonic orchestra. They cancelled the regular New Year's concert. Somewhow that threat didn't have the desired effect. Talking about New Year there were many great fireworks displays around the world but Melbourne's fireworks were more like a world war one battlefield than a fireworks display.
TV Ads
Can someone please explain what the Ford ad is about that involves a car slaloming around giant water sprinklers? I just can't imagine the scene at the ad agency when someone said "I know, why don't we have a car slaloming about giant water sprinklers?" The latest Holden ad is somewhat curious too. It features someone saying that the new Astra has taken on a real European styling. That might be because it's built in Germany and its just a rebadged German car.
I saw an advertisement for the big bash cricket, but its main message, though, was to come dressed up. Not sure whether they are promoting a sporting event or a fancy dress party.
Soccer
Sometimes it's obvious when non-regular spectators attend Melbourne Victory matches. The last time I sat next to a few people that needed to occupy not only their seats but the seats below them too. Most of the time they were more interested in their phones, what the crowd was doing or catching up on gossip. They had those giant phones, you know, those apparently designed for the visually impaired or people with poor limb control. All this was interspersed with random shouting at the players and insightful comments like: "If the goalkeeper hadn't touched that it would have gone in".
Lycra
Apparently these days you need to wear a singlet and tights when you are walking a dog or pushing a pram.
Rail Trail
The local rail trail here offers a lot of "entertainment" during the holidays. One cyclist had a structure on her helmet to ward off magpies which was more like something from The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Apart from that, it was useless anyway - magpies don't swoop in the middle of summer unless you offend them by wearing hideous headwear. Then there was the woman with big hair, probably a foreign tourist, who was not wearing a helmet at all. In any event even if she tried to put on a helmet there was no way it would be of any benefit in protecting her head as it would have just sat high atop all that hair. And of course there is the usual cyclists riding on the wrong side of the track, I even had a big dog blocking my path on one occasion. Not the dog's fault - he didn't know what his owners were shouting about. But something that I have noticed recently is that some people don't seem to understand that the rail trail (which is pretty busy this time of the year) is probably not the best place for toddlers to be walking or playing with their toys. I thought parents were supposed to be risk averse these days? Maybe I just came across parents that are probably going to end up being reported to Child Protection for neglect anyway. Having said that there are a few parents that gave their children what for when they did the wrong thing on the trail, probably somewhat harshly.
It was a bit quieter this week but nevertheless some road cyclists managed to cut me off, they only had eyes for their stop at the Rail Trail Cafe. But prior to that I noticed a shadow across the trail. I thought it was a hand glider but it turned out it was one of the biggest birds I have ever seen (looked like a wedged tail eagle). It obviously checked me out but, thankfully, figured I was too big. Just as well I have put on a few kilos recently. It was big.
It was a bit quieter this week but nevertheless some road cyclists managed to cut me off, they only had eyes for their stop at the Rail Trail Cafe. But prior to that I noticed a shadow across the trail. I thought it was a hand glider but it turned out it was one of the biggest birds I have ever seen (looked like a wedged tail eagle). It obviously checked me out but, thankfully, figured I was too big. Just as well I have put on a few kilos recently. It was big.
And finally, some pictures...
| Mount Buffalo, from Porepunkah (rail trail) |
| Ovens River, Cherry Walk |
| Ovens River, Cherry Walk. Until the recent floods the river was not visible at this part of the track |
| You'll need to squint...para-gliders during the recent Bright Paragliding Open |
| Pretty sky during a recent Melbourne Victory game |
| Stick insect on my front door. Had me fooled until i tried to flick it off |
| Views from Huggins Lookout |
| Ovens River, from the Rail Trail near Bright |
No comments:
Post a Comment