Hello, I concluded my recent tour by stopping in Verona, for one night, on my way back to Piran. Similar to Florence but has less grand buildings but more of them (see pictures below). Also it was not as crazy in Verona, a lot calmer and less busy than Florence or Rome. I even saw a policeman even tel a kid on a motor bike to cut down on the revving. But they also don't believe in too many traffic lights in Verona.
The amount and size of luggage people drag on to trains is unbelievable. It appears that some people think that it doesn't matter how big your suitcase is as long as its got wheels things will be fine. A train is not a plane though. I saw one person on a platform in Italy that had a large backpack on his back, a slightly smaller one on his front and two smaller backpacks in each hand. I don't think he was a porter.
Also no sign of police on the trip back - except on the Venice-Trieste leg - but certainly no passport checks. I guess not much concern about refugees heading the other way.
It was also interesting the number of people that sit in reserve seats so that when the person whose seat it is boards, they have to move. It's not hard to see if the seat is reserved, there's a little piece of paper next to the seat number showing the stations from and to for which the seat is reserved. With the local Italian trains they don't do this system, so pot luck. Although I must say the Italian train system is a lot better: they have better trains than the Austrians now, the best online ticket system, and screens on the platforms at major stations showing the location of carriages before the train comes in (very smart and reduces the delay in boarding by reducing the number of people running up and down the platform trying to find their carriage number).
Anyway, here are some pictures of Verona...
The amount and size of luggage people drag on to trains is unbelievable. It appears that some people think that it doesn't matter how big your suitcase is as long as its got wheels things will be fine. A train is not a plane though. I saw one person on a platform in Italy that had a large backpack on his back, a slightly smaller one on his front and two smaller backpacks in each hand. I don't think he was a porter.
Also no sign of police on the trip back - except on the Venice-Trieste leg - but certainly no passport checks. I guess not much concern about refugees heading the other way.
It was also interesting the number of people that sit in reserve seats so that when the person whose seat it is boards, they have to move. It's not hard to see if the seat is reserved, there's a little piece of paper next to the seat number showing the stations from and to for which the seat is reserved. With the local Italian trains they don't do this system, so pot luck. Although I must say the Italian train system is a lot better: they have better trains than the Austrians now, the best online ticket system, and screens on the platforms at major stations showing the location of carriages before the train comes in (very smart and reduces the delay in boarding by reducing the number of people running up and down the platform trying to find their carriage number).
Anyway, here are some pictures of Verona...
Your Verona is certainly a 'pretty one, a pretty one...'.
ReplyDelete