14 Apr 2016

Great Victorian Rail Trail - Part 2

Hello,
The next stage of my rail trail trip was from Alexandra to Mansfield, a long day as I almost did more kilometres than I had the previous two days. Disappointing was the crossing of Lake Eildon - it was more like the crossing the Eildon desert (see photos below). Pretty uneventful day which was a bit tedious on occasions - was passed by a couple of school groups (must be a form of punishment making them cycle)  And when I came into Mansfield I had a parade of honour from the local kindergarten which was in the local park through which the trail goes. Mansfield itself is large and very busy. But again has excellent bakeries but this time I wasn't tempted.
The next day - today - was the trip from Mansfield to Whitfield (on my way back to Wangaratta). No rail trail - just roads - and it was horrendous, 1300m of climbing over 65 km and some crazy downhills, with my top speed being 52 km/h - it felt more like 100. When I got into Whitfield had to wait for a group to be served lunch - at 2.30pm - before I could check in at the pub. They were mainly British, so perhaps they were still operating on UK time.
I really like these country towns because they have still have bakeries (that have real cakes and bread) and genera stores which just about have everything in a small space.
Last day to Wangaratta tomorrow - ready for a rest!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shots (both legs - of the trail, that is). Want to be there... Steve P

    ReplyDelete