17 Apr 2016

Cycle Tour Finale

Hello,

Well that's the end of my cycling tour. The last section was from Whitfield to Wangaratta via the main road, back farm roads (gravel), and the rail trail from Milawa to Wangaratta, a total of almost 60km. A much easier ride than the previous day! So all together there was 263 km covered over 5 days and don't my legs and butt know it.  The bike did well but was starting to squeak - it obviously had enough too. I used Google maps to plan the route between Mansfield and Milawa - the beta bike option. Well it got the route right but no way could anybody on other than a mountain bike go on the roads it suggested. Plus it assumed 20 km an hour on rough gravel roads - that might be fine for Cadel Evans but not for your average cyclist. Just as well it is in beta. But nevertheless it was an adventure but at times my lungs and heart were competing to see who could work the hardest.

The last day was a variety of terrain: bitumen for 13km, then gravel roads, some of which were quite rough. What I have learnt is that those vibration fat reduction machines can't possibly work; the amount of vibration I was subjected to along those corrugated gravel roads led to no reduction in my weight. The last part of the trip was on the rail trail from Milawa, through Oxley, to Wangaratta (actually the old train line didn't go to Milawa it went to Whitfield via Oxley from Wangaratta). A lot of that trail appeared to be made with pebble mix, looked nice but was abrasive and bumpy. But then by this stage my backside expected better. Had one adventure, a big dog came after me but gave up the chase pretty quickly: either, smart, lazy or old.
 
When I finished the trip in Wangaratta I came back to reality. At the toilet where I changed an interesting person came up to me and started talking to me. He seemed jovial and friendly but I am still not sure what he was talking about. I smiled and nodded in agreement. He then went into the toilet briefly, then decided to came back and give me a loud farewell. I quickly moved on. On the bus to Bright I had the privilege of a loud talker - of course they had to sit opposite me. Seven phone calls in an hour, most of them telling people she was on the bus and that she will meet them later. She also had a cold, and kept coughing. She is obviously a very important person and probably had to catch up with people n order to give them her cold.

Some final pictures..... 










No comments:

Post a Comment