Hello again. In this blog I cover the final two days of my trip from Rutherglen back to Bright. As I mentioned there is no rail trail between Rutherglen and Wangaratta, instead there is a marked route (with blue poles) going from Rutherglen mainly along quiet backroads via Chiltern (20km from Rutherglen). Just before Chiltern the route went through the national park and then there was a fast downhill into the town. It was a a welcome doughnut and coke stop in this historic town before going under the freeway and following backroads paralleling the freeway. I was very lucky on two counts this day; I had a tail wind for the final 46km stretch to Wangaratta and I avoided the storms further west, I could hear and see the lightning in the distance. About 10km before Wangaratta I joined the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail and took that to Wangaratta (via the Bowser station site). I stayed in Wangaratta before tackling my final day. All day my water tasted a bit strange. I thought it was just the hot plastic of the water bottle, turned out I had been drinking moth cordial. I don't recommend it.
The final day was the longest, 84km back to Bright, along the rail trail. I retraced my steps of the previous day to day to the junction where I had turned on to the rail trail. The weather finally caught up with me but I managed to avoid the rain for most of the day. I only really got rained upon for a short 8km section between Taylors Gap and Myrtleford. Bright was a welcome sight and that was the end of the trip. The bike was immediately taken for a service and a new back tyre!
One final thing, my book, Random Thoughts & Tales is currently available for a 10% discount (using code LULU10) from the Lulu Publishing Website.
The final photos....
Rutherglen - Wangaratta:
Wangaratta - Bright:
The final day was the longest, 84km back to Bright, along the rail trail. I retraced my steps of the previous day to day to the junction where I had turned on to the rail trail. The weather finally caught up with me but I managed to avoid the rain for most of the day. I only really got rained upon for a short 8km section between Taylors Gap and Myrtleford. Bright was a welcome sight and that was the end of the trip. The bike was immediately taken for a service and a new back tyre!
One final thing, my book, Random Thoughts & Tales is currently available for a 10% discount (using code LULU10) from the Lulu Publishing Website.
The final photos....
Rutherglen - Wangaratta:
Wangaratta - Bright:
No comments:
Post a Comment