1 Nov 2018

The Trip Back to Australia

Hello, I arrived late Tuesday night. So far my record for a night's sleep is five hours. 

Anyway, on the way back I went the same route: taxi to Venice then flight to Dubai, change of plane, then direct to Melbourne. It was a good time to go as it was already raining for two days in Piran, and it only got worse in Venice. It didn't start off well though, as I thought I booked the taxi for the wrong place.- It turned out that we just had to change to another taxi shuttle in Trieste. The trip back is never really fun. It's just the other people that make it entertaining.

Venice airport is very modern and clean - you wouldn't know you were in Italy. It has excellent shops and the Chinese were running around like they have never been in a shop before. It's probably the only airport that has its own port - with water taxis and ferries (see pictures). Surprisingly, security is very strict: requiring shoes and belts to be removed. Why don't they just ask us to strip naked? It would be be quicker and more thorough. People are funny. They were lining up to get on the plane 30 minutes before they even started boarding - must have thought they wouldn't get a seat. 

When we landed at Dubai people couldn't wait to get off, starting to get their hand luggage from the lockers even before the plane had stopped. At Dubai, four Italians switched on their phones as soon as they got off and then were glued to them through the security checks. They must have had very important business to transact - tthat required the taking of selfies. At Dubai, somehow I managed to go through a security clearance twice and when I got to the gate there was a further (hand) search of cabin baggage. When I got to Australia, zero security checks. We are more concerned with the security threat that food poses than munitions. An interesting variation on the bidet was in evidence in Dubai airport. Rather than seperate bidets, that just had a hose in the toilet cubicles. Very practical.

We had a delay in taking off from Dubai as a couple of passengers had to be overloaded due to "medical issues". I think that's a airline speak for "plastered passengers". At Melbourne airport, there was the usual efficiency. I clearly waited in the wrong passport queue and expected the airport to be empty by the time I got to the baggage carousel, only to find half the plane still waiting for their bags.

A couple of pictures from Venice airport...
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment