28 Apr 2017

Alice Springs

Arrived yesterday and it's quite cool here 20-21, good for walking and good for me. The weather for the next few days is about the same being sunny throughout. Alice Springs looks a bit tired and a lot of shops are hidden in malls - not surprising it can get into the 40s here in the summer. But it does have an excellent outdoor shop called the Lone Dingo which is next door to the Red Dog Cafe, they have a bit of a theme going there.

The trip here was interesting, unsurprisingly. At the airport had a three kid disease factory set up next to me while I was at a cafe. Three kids under 10 coughing and sneezing in all directions. Their main mission appeared to be to spread their illness. It didn't appear that they had been introduced to the handkerchief or the courtesy of covering their mouths when coughing. While I was waiting at the gate someone come up and took a photo of the vending machine dispensing chips. But he was not interested in the drinks one. Must have been a foreign tourist as you don't see many chip vending machines in Europe. He can tell his friends all about it. They will be in awe.
The flight was quite quick - only 2 1/2 hours. Food was served, being a Qantas flight, a pie. Not everybody took up the offer so they had spares, so they offered seconds. Many of the people  taking up the offer probably shouldn't have.
On arrival they had a quarantine bin for tomatoes, capsicum and chilis. Lucky I left mine at home. Also what's odd here is that they take the TV news from Queensland. Not much coverage of  NT news though.

Today I walked down to the Old Telegraph station, just 3km away but already in the bush. I was slightly concerned when I saw a notice stating that dingoes were active in the area and that if you came across them you should look big, look them in the eye and fall back slowly. I thought that's what you had to do with bears which are much more scary. Tomorrow I am on the Larapiinta Trek for six days (but staying at a base camp) no phone, Internet, electricity and limited water. It will be interesting.















No comments:

Post a Comment