Hello again,
I returned to Australia late October and it has been a bit of a cultural shock after being away from Australia for over 5 months:
Interesting People
Bright attracts a number of visitors, sometimes for specific events, and its interesting that some groups of people have certain similarities:
Public Transport Tales
I returned to Australia late October and it has been a bit of a cultural shock after being away from Australia for over 5 months:
- I had to learn to speak English again. I think I have picked it up now
- So much crime and violence here, feels like a battlefield and politicians seem much more angry now too.
Interesting People
Bright attracts a number of visitors, sometimes for specific events, and its interesting that some groups of people have certain similarities:
- Males around 25 that wear baseball caps and sunglasses perched on top, singlets, baggy shorts and thongs. Facial hair and tatoos are optional
- Skinny, scrawny types wearing baseball caps that sound like they are talking through their noses
- Males 30+ that wear all black, long beards and always have a beer in their hand (these are typically associated with the annual hot rod run)
- Four wheel drive drivers. They usually are wearing some kind of cowboy hat and their vehicles are covered in mud. They look bedraggled like they haven't slept, washed or eaten for a couple of weeks
- Those that like wearing shorts, t-shirt in combination with a beanie regardless of weather conditions (also spotted in Melbourne)
Public Transport Tales
I love the announcements at train stations in Melbourne now triumphantly declaring that the line is operating a good service. The announcer seems genuinely happy to be announcing the fact the trains are running on time. I don't think they have high expectations of the train system.
Increasingly it appears that there are more and more people travelling on public transport completely oblivious to the existence of other passengers. When I was catching the 6.10am bus to Wangaratta there were three people gossiping and carrying on at the front of the bus. so much so that two passengers moved right to the back of the bus. Its 6 o'clock in the morning! Then when I was catching the train into the city a person was on facetime, again just talking gossip. The fact that the train filled around her didn't stop her from having this important conversation that required face to face communication.
I have noticed in Melbourne, well in Hoppers Crossing anyway, little orange signs with the bus route numbers on them. I hope these have not be installed for bus drivers to tell them which way to go.
Interesting Products and Marketing
While filling in time at an electronics store in Melbourne, I spotted an interesting product called "Toilet Slam Dunk". I didn't linger too long near this product as a shop attendant was heading my way but apparently it consists of a small basketball hoop which you stick on the back of the toilet door and you try to throw a small ball into the hoop. It's apparently aimed at banishing boredom in the toilet: Toliet Basketball Kit. I will not comment any further.
I got an email from an online company that sells garden watering products suggesting some Christmas gifts. In it was included what the staff etc. were going to give their families for Christmas. Apart from the fact that what their families were going to get was no longer going to be a surprise as they revealed this information to the public, all the gifts were the company's products. Maybe staff are getting a substantial discount but getting a hose reel, hose connector or sprinkler for Christmas seems to be a bit of a let down for their families (on two counts).
Also noticed a sign at Werribee Plaza (that's a shopping centre in Melbourne but it has changed its name now to something that sounds more like a tourist resort: Pacific Werribee) that indicated that the Bingo and the Library are co-located. I guess that's one way of attracting people to the Library.
Television
I note that a big story on Channel 7 news recently was a special investigative report on the exploitation of Mexican fruit pickers in Mexico. I'm not sure whether such an expose on Australian TV will make much difference to their plight. I don't think they would have been as enthusiastic about a trip to Mildura. Call me cynical but sounds like a junket to me.
An interesting story on the local news recently was a break in into a community house in Wodonga. Police had a piece of evidence they don't normally get: a butt print left by one of the offenders. In an apparent act of defiance (aka stupidity) the offender left his butt print on the door (well spotted by the fingerprint experts). He was subsequently arrested but I don't know whether the butt print was the crucial piece of evidence that led to the arrest. The story can be found here, complete with a photo of the evidence: Butt Print story
A intriguing program that I saw on community TV recently was the Personal Injury Law Show. As fascinating as three lawyers talking about traffic accident cases is, I don't think it will make commercial TV. I think the program was designed to promote their law firm but they never really mentioned the firm much. I think they just really liked going on TV talking about court cases. Catch up on all the latest action at The PI Show.
On a Positive Note
Despite all the negativity, one positive thing from the election of Donald Trump is that he has legitimised the comb over. In fact I noticed he has gone for the double comb over. It gives a lot of people enhanced self-esteem.
Off to Adelaide next week, more blogs to follow. Finally, some local photos...
Increasingly it appears that there are more and more people travelling on public transport completely oblivious to the existence of other passengers. When I was catching the 6.10am bus to Wangaratta there were three people gossiping and carrying on at the front of the bus. so much so that two passengers moved right to the back of the bus. Its 6 o'clock in the morning! Then when I was catching the train into the city a person was on facetime, again just talking gossip. The fact that the train filled around her didn't stop her from having this important conversation that required face to face communication.
I have noticed in Melbourne, well in Hoppers Crossing anyway, little orange signs with the bus route numbers on them. I hope these have not be installed for bus drivers to tell them which way to go.
Interesting Products and Marketing
While filling in time at an electronics store in Melbourne, I spotted an interesting product called "Toilet Slam Dunk". I didn't linger too long near this product as a shop attendant was heading my way but apparently it consists of a small basketball hoop which you stick on the back of the toilet door and you try to throw a small ball into the hoop. It's apparently aimed at banishing boredom in the toilet: Toliet Basketball Kit. I will not comment any further.
I got an email from an online company that sells garden watering products suggesting some Christmas gifts. In it was included what the staff etc. were going to give their families for Christmas. Apart from the fact that what their families were going to get was no longer going to be a surprise as they revealed this information to the public, all the gifts were the company's products. Maybe staff are getting a substantial discount but getting a hose reel, hose connector or sprinkler for Christmas seems to be a bit of a let down for their families (on two counts).
Also noticed a sign at Werribee Plaza (that's a shopping centre in Melbourne but it has changed its name now to something that sounds more like a tourist resort: Pacific Werribee) that indicated that the Bingo and the Library are co-located. I guess that's one way of attracting people to the Library.
Television
I note that a big story on Channel 7 news recently was a special investigative report on the exploitation of Mexican fruit pickers in Mexico. I'm not sure whether such an expose on Australian TV will make much difference to their plight. I don't think they would have been as enthusiastic about a trip to Mildura. Call me cynical but sounds like a junket to me.
An interesting story on the local news recently was a break in into a community house in Wodonga. Police had a piece of evidence they don't normally get: a butt print left by one of the offenders. In an apparent act of defiance (aka stupidity) the offender left his butt print on the door (well spotted by the fingerprint experts). He was subsequently arrested but I don't know whether the butt print was the crucial piece of evidence that led to the arrest. The story can be found here, complete with a photo of the evidence: Butt Print story
A intriguing program that I saw on community TV recently was the Personal Injury Law Show. As fascinating as three lawyers talking about traffic accident cases is, I don't think it will make commercial TV. I think the program was designed to promote their law firm but they never really mentioned the firm much. I think they just really liked going on TV talking about court cases. Catch up on all the latest action at The PI Show.
On a Positive Note
Despite all the negativity, one positive thing from the election of Donald Trump is that he has legitimised the comb over. In fact I noticed he has gone for the double comb over. It gives a lot of people enhanced self-esteem.
Off to Adelaide next week, more blogs to follow. Finally, some local photos...
| Lake Buffalo (near Myrtleford) |
| Gorge Walk (near Mt Beauty) |
| Tronoh Lake (near Harrietville) |
| Ovens River, Bright |
No comments:
Post a Comment