Hello,
Well that's the end of my time here in Slovenia for this year as summer has rapidly disappeared in the last few weeks - I leave tomorrow. Did a few short trips recently but the main one was a visit to Ljubljana (the capital) to see the Slovenia - England World Cup Qualifying soccer match. A great atmosphere. Only 13,000 people but everyone was chanting throughout the whole match and the large contingent of English fans couldn't get a word in.
But before I go some final observations...
Interesting TV Programmes
Thank goodness for the TV shopping advertisements which appear to be well ahead of the medical profession in promoting solutions to health problems: girdles to improve posture; electromagnetic pens for pain relief; and magnetic knee braces to stop back pain.
An interesting German TV programme I have seen recently involves a randomly generated number being displayed on a screen for a short time and then the contestant, in a test of memory, has to step on the correct numbers which are laid out on the floor, within a time limit. The number gets increasingly longer. To me it was entertaining for about 10 minutes. It must be a German thing.
Builders in Piran
Most buildings in Piran are old, made out of stone and about 4 stories high with limited space around them. There are always builders around working on these buildings. There are the ones that use scaffolding and lifts and then there are the builders that use 4 story high ladders. OH&S appears to be optional here.
Slovenian Stories
For a small place there is a lot of strange things that happen here. We had the 72 year old that drove his car into the sea, presumably by accident. It was a bit odd, it was 6am and it was in an area in which cars really don't go (a wharf). He was rescued by two policemen. You can see the pictures here
Then there's the story about France wanting its king back from Slovenia, Apparently the last French king died in Slovenia and is interred in a church here. Who would of thought a French king would be buried here? You can read the full story in English here
And there was the incident of a motorist intentionally running over the mayor of a local town, while he was riding his bike, who fled from the scene. Subsequently he handed himself into police. Maybe the rates are too high there. In other news somebody purchased a giant statute of Mother Teresa and offered it to a town near here (Postojna) to put up in its central square. The town council declined because she didn't really have a connection to the town and likened it to putting up a statute of Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley. Who would have thought?
However, the main things that dominate the news here appear to be corruption scandals. The latest is people paying money to jump the hospital waiting queues. In Australia we call this private health insurance.
Here, as in some other European countries, you can ride a scooter, speed limited to 25km without a licence or helmet and on roads or bike paths. Therefore kids tend to use them a lot. I am not sure whether these scooters are always limited to 25km by the speeds they have gone by me in the past but to me it just seems to encourage hoons. Perhaps the strategy is that the kids will learn to drive better or that the hoons will kill or injure themselves on scooters making driving car driving safer for everybody else. I am not sure whether that strategy is working as Slovenia has one of the highest road fatality rates in Europe.
Refugees
The crisis that unfolded last year did not occur this year but the method of departure has altered. Apparently, crime is well down in the the neigbouring country of Serbia because for the criminals people smuggling is more lucrative. There's always an upside.
Dodgy People
I observed a few people whose behaviour caused me concern. There was the kid with a white backpack who couldn't sit still on the bus. He made a big performance of getting his earphones out, bought out this big phone, listened to music for 5 minutes, then packed everything away with the same fanfare, sighing in between. Then there was the black base ball cap wearer wandering around with camouflage pants and jacket, and black backpack (and no he was not a member of the army). And finally there was the woman that came on to the bus with a permanent smile on her face, went to the middle of bus, looked around, then sat in the most uncomfortable and cramped seat available, wedging herself opposite some other people. I tried not to make eye contact with her when she was getting off the bus. I am sure a profiler would make something of all this.
Old People
We recently had the Golden Age Gym Festival here. I am not sure what golden age they were part of but participants couldn't walk very fast and spent a lot of time at cafes and restaurants.
Piran seems to be the headquarters of hip grandmothers. Saw another one on the bus with the backward baseball cap, jeans and runners with pink shoe laces.
And finally, it's interesting to note that in the Slovenian language "buried" and "cemetery" are very similar to the words for "pensioner" and "retired".
Public Transport Tales
The bus doesn't often stop at the last stop before Piran (as it's not very far to Piran itself). But on one occasion some tourists got on, got to Piran when they asked the driver when the next bus to Ljubljana left. Apart from the fact that they had just travelled in the opposite direction to which they were wanting to go and that such buses are infrequent.....Then there was the man that got off this same stop after apparently buying his bread in Piran. Well it is uphill.
But the highlight was the old couple that came on to the bus that then starting debating where they were going. The bus driver said to them that he can't help them with that and to stop holding up the bus. Another first was a couple that bought their car seat for their child to sit on the bus.I guess it's safer if buses had seat belts.
The funniest story that I overhead was when a bus driver was complaining that he was 4 minutes late and had not even had a break. He told one of the passengers that the way the timetable was worked out was that the manager got on his motorcycle to get the timings for the route. It gets better, apparently while doing this he got a speeding ticket but he still used the timings for the timetable.
What the...
When I was on the bus I was surprised to see on a side road a policeman wearing a helmet and black balaclava holding a machine gun apparently guarding the site of a raid on a car. All the car doors were open and there were police cars everywhere. You don't see that everyday. Apparently, this was part of an operation against organised crime dealing in illegal drugs, gun trafficking and people smuggling involving an Albanian fruit and vegetable seller (things aren't really different overseas).
While in Ljubljana I saw the biggest pram, buggy? I have ever seen. It had seating for 6 toddlers. Also in Ljubljana, there is a park where homeless people go. When I was walking through the park, this last visit, I saw somebody who had a shopping trolley with all their stuff: bedding, personal items and a large stuffed toy pony. I guess it might be a good pillow.
My Hotel
The Ljubljana hotel was comfortable but they seemed to be rationing tea bags. When I came there were two tea bags. On day three they boosted that up to 4. Also seemed to be important, rich and/or dodgy people staying at the hotel, at least on the 5th and 7th floors where I saw black clothed security guards.
Soccer Commentary
Slovenian TV Commentary continues to provide some gems. Talking about an injured player lying on the floor, the commentator said that he'll get the magic water and then he'll be running around in a few minutes like a wind up machine. About another game the commentator said it was like a cat playing with a mouse.
Shopping
Saw a shop that was promoting its "salty goodies". I'm not sure whether that's a selling point or a warning. Also when paying for a purchase I made at a hardware store I was invited to press a red button, as a result I won a 5% discount on my purchase. I suspect this is one of those promotions where everyone wins a prize.
Random Thoughts
Because of the heat and humidity here this past summer I have had to resort to wearing shorts (do not try to picture this). Previously my rule was I wear shorts only for sports (soccer and cycling). However, my legs appear to be impervious to the sun, they are still white as snow. My theory is that they are so white that they reflect the sun. This reflective effect may also explain why I am apparently invisible to some people (see previous blog: 11 September 2016).
Some final photos taken in the last few weeks mainly in and around Piran and nearby Ankaran....
Well that's the end of my time here in Slovenia for this year as summer has rapidly disappeared in the last few weeks - I leave tomorrow. Did a few short trips recently but the main one was a visit to Ljubljana (the capital) to see the Slovenia - England World Cup Qualifying soccer match. A great atmosphere. Only 13,000 people but everyone was chanting throughout the whole match and the large contingent of English fans couldn't get a word in.
But before I go some final observations...
Interesting TV Programmes
Thank goodness for the TV shopping advertisements which appear to be well ahead of the medical profession in promoting solutions to health problems: girdles to improve posture; electromagnetic pens for pain relief; and magnetic knee braces to stop back pain.
An interesting German TV programme I have seen recently involves a randomly generated number being displayed on a screen for a short time and then the contestant, in a test of memory, has to step on the correct numbers which are laid out on the floor, within a time limit. The number gets increasingly longer. To me it was entertaining for about 10 minutes. It must be a German thing.
Builders in Piran
Most buildings in Piran are old, made out of stone and about 4 stories high with limited space around them. There are always builders around working on these buildings. There are the ones that use scaffolding and lifts and then there are the builders that use 4 story high ladders. OH&S appears to be optional here.
Slovenian Stories
For a small place there is a lot of strange things that happen here. We had the 72 year old that drove his car into the sea, presumably by accident. It was a bit odd, it was 6am and it was in an area in which cars really don't go (a wharf). He was rescued by two policemen. You can see the pictures here
Then there's the story about France wanting its king back from Slovenia, Apparently the last French king died in Slovenia and is interred in a church here. Who would of thought a French king would be buried here? You can read the full story in English here
And there was the incident of a motorist intentionally running over the mayor of a local town, while he was riding his bike, who fled from the scene. Subsequently he handed himself into police. Maybe the rates are too high there. In other news somebody purchased a giant statute of Mother Teresa and offered it to a town near here (Postojna) to put up in its central square. The town council declined because she didn't really have a connection to the town and likened it to putting up a statute of Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley. Who would have thought?
However, the main things that dominate the news here appear to be corruption scandals. The latest is people paying money to jump the hospital waiting queues. In Australia we call this private health insurance.
Here, as in some other European countries, you can ride a scooter, speed limited to 25km without a licence or helmet and on roads or bike paths. Therefore kids tend to use them a lot. I am not sure whether these scooters are always limited to 25km by the speeds they have gone by me in the past but to me it just seems to encourage hoons. Perhaps the strategy is that the kids will learn to drive better or that the hoons will kill or injure themselves on scooters making driving car driving safer for everybody else. I am not sure whether that strategy is working as Slovenia has one of the highest road fatality rates in Europe.
Refugees
The crisis that unfolded last year did not occur this year but the method of departure has altered. Apparently, crime is well down in the the neigbouring country of Serbia because for the criminals people smuggling is more lucrative. There's always an upside.
Dodgy People
I observed a few people whose behaviour caused me concern. There was the kid with a white backpack who couldn't sit still on the bus. He made a big performance of getting his earphones out, bought out this big phone, listened to music for 5 minutes, then packed everything away with the same fanfare, sighing in between. Then there was the black base ball cap wearer wandering around with camouflage pants and jacket, and black backpack (and no he was not a member of the army). And finally there was the woman that came on to the bus with a permanent smile on her face, went to the middle of bus, looked around, then sat in the most uncomfortable and cramped seat available, wedging herself opposite some other people. I tried not to make eye contact with her when she was getting off the bus. I am sure a profiler would make something of all this.
Old People
We recently had the Golden Age Gym Festival here. I am not sure what golden age they were part of but participants couldn't walk very fast and spent a lot of time at cafes and restaurants.
Piran seems to be the headquarters of hip grandmothers. Saw another one on the bus with the backward baseball cap, jeans and runners with pink shoe laces.
And finally, it's interesting to note that in the Slovenian language "buried" and "cemetery" are very similar to the words for "pensioner" and "retired".
Public Transport Tales
The bus doesn't often stop at the last stop before Piran (as it's not very far to Piran itself). But on one occasion some tourists got on, got to Piran when they asked the driver when the next bus to Ljubljana left. Apart from the fact that they had just travelled in the opposite direction to which they were wanting to go and that such buses are infrequent.....Then there was the man that got off this same stop after apparently buying his bread in Piran. Well it is uphill.
But the highlight was the old couple that came on to the bus that then starting debating where they were going. The bus driver said to them that he can't help them with that and to stop holding up the bus. Another first was a couple that bought their car seat for their child to sit on the bus.I guess it's safer if buses had seat belts.
The funniest story that I overhead was when a bus driver was complaining that he was 4 minutes late and had not even had a break. He told one of the passengers that the way the timetable was worked out was that the manager got on his motorcycle to get the timings for the route. It gets better, apparently while doing this he got a speeding ticket but he still used the timings for the timetable.
What the...
When I was on the bus I was surprised to see on a side road a policeman wearing a helmet and black balaclava holding a machine gun apparently guarding the site of a raid on a car. All the car doors were open and there were police cars everywhere. You don't see that everyday. Apparently, this was part of an operation against organised crime dealing in illegal drugs, gun trafficking and people smuggling involving an Albanian fruit and vegetable seller (things aren't really different overseas).
While in Ljubljana I saw the biggest pram, buggy? I have ever seen. It had seating for 6 toddlers. Also in Ljubljana, there is a park where homeless people go. When I was walking through the park, this last visit, I saw somebody who had a shopping trolley with all their stuff: bedding, personal items and a large stuffed toy pony. I guess it might be a good pillow.
My Hotel
The Ljubljana hotel was comfortable but they seemed to be rationing tea bags. When I came there were two tea bags. On day three they boosted that up to 4. Also seemed to be important, rich and/or dodgy people staying at the hotel, at least on the 5th and 7th floors where I saw black clothed security guards.
Soccer Commentary
Slovenian TV Commentary continues to provide some gems. Talking about an injured player lying on the floor, the commentator said that he'll get the magic water and then he'll be running around in a few minutes like a wind up machine. About another game the commentator said it was like a cat playing with a mouse.
Shopping
Saw a shop that was promoting its "salty goodies". I'm not sure whether that's a selling point or a warning. Also when paying for a purchase I made at a hardware store I was invited to press a red button, as a result I won a 5% discount on my purchase. I suspect this is one of those promotions where everyone wins a prize.
Random Thoughts
Because of the heat and humidity here this past summer I have had to resort to wearing shorts (do not try to picture this). Previously my rule was I wear shorts only for sports (soccer and cycling). However, my legs appear to be impervious to the sun, they are still white as snow. My theory is that they are so white that they reflect the sun. This reflective effect may also explain why I am apparently invisible to some people (see previous blog: 11 September 2016).
Some final photos taken in the last few weeks mainly in and around Piran and nearby Ankaran....
| This one is not from around Piran but is of Ljubljana. It was cold. |
No comments:
Post a Comment