Hello, back again, continues to be hot here, most days have been 30-31 degrees with a high degree of humidity, slowly acclimatising but the fan is on most days as these stone buildings sure heat up. It's even too hot for the pigeons which have taken refuge in the palm trees outside my apartment.
More renovations but nothing has broken recently (although I did blow up the heater in the bathroom, but I won't be needing that anyway) - fingers crossed. Been mainly writing my legal book and attending concerts/festivals. July is a time when they are a lot of these, particularly ones arranged by local fire brigades (to raise money I guess) - they hire an artist and you enter for free, usually, and they make money on the food and drink on sale (see some pictures below). No expeditions, although some upcoming next month: a whirlwind tour of Slovenia in 7 days with my friend from Australia and then a week in Austria doing mainly day walks in the mountains.
Anyway, some observations...
Mystery Solved
I have found out why Americans are so loud: they train them that way. For some reason they ran a number of camps for very young American children (rich kids?) a few weeks ago down the coast at a resort not far from here in Piran. Obviously, the tactic was keep these kids moving to wear them out, as I came across them a few times when doing my usual walk down the coast. Anyway, from time to time they would stop and the teacher would ask them a series of questions and they would have to shout back the answers. if they were not loud enough they had to repeat the answers - I guess until a suitable volume level was attained.
Beach Time
It's full on holiday time here so people have come down here to the coast to roast in the sun on the rocks and concrete (we really don't have sandy beaches here). Anyway, all that I will say is that I don't think people try on their swimming costumes (aka bathers) before they purchase them.
Cycling
Haven't done a lot of it yet but I was almost involved in a four bicycle pile up on the cycle path when I did venture out. One cyclist passed me then pulled over the side, of the two cyclists in front of me, one decided to stop in front of me but to one side at least, so I moved around and then the third cyclist who was now in front of me decided to stop in the middle of the path. They weren't Italians.
But who was an Italian was the cyclist who was riding with his child siting on his shoulders. I don't know whether he (the child) was an acrobat in training.
But the highlight has been the German bicycle as long as a car that could accommodate three people. I saw them a couple of times. It was made up of three parts: in the front was the wife on the recumbent or recliner part of the bike (the ones where you sit back with the pedals in front), the husband sat on the 2nd part which was like a normal bike, and the third part was the covered trailer that the child was in attached to the back of this contraption. I don't know how they safely steered and stopped this thing.
Interesting People
As I said I attended a number of festivals. At one there was some added entertainment with one of the audience, near the stage of course, playing along on his air guitar and singing along. Another one not only sang along but for one number played his mouth organ! Luckily the actual professionals were so loud you couldn't them.
Interesting Businesses
I have seen a chain of clothes shops around here which mystifies me with the name: Egoist L.A.B Shop. I can see their target audience but I don't know what LAB stands for.
A particularly interesting business I discovered here in Piran recently is the Fish Spa. No this is not a spa for fish but a spa for people who put their feet in fish tanks to be nibbled at by fish. I make no further comment except to direct you to this if you don't believe me: https://www.facebook.com/FISH-SPA-PIRAN-1779695442263917/photos?ref=page_internal. But I will say it does particularly well as when I pass the shop? salon? aquarium? it's nearly always full (of tourists no doubt).
Reality TV
I have been watching a bit of this recently, especially the crime related ones. I have learnt two valuable things from these programs:
More renovations but nothing has broken recently (although I did blow up the heater in the bathroom, but I won't be needing that anyway) - fingers crossed. Been mainly writing my legal book and attending concerts/festivals. July is a time when they are a lot of these, particularly ones arranged by local fire brigades (to raise money I guess) - they hire an artist and you enter for free, usually, and they make money on the food and drink on sale (see some pictures below). No expeditions, although some upcoming next month: a whirlwind tour of Slovenia in 7 days with my friend from Australia and then a week in Austria doing mainly day walks in the mountains.
Anyway, some observations...
Mystery Solved
I have found out why Americans are so loud: they train them that way. For some reason they ran a number of camps for very young American children (rich kids?) a few weeks ago down the coast at a resort not far from here in Piran. Obviously, the tactic was keep these kids moving to wear them out, as I came across them a few times when doing my usual walk down the coast. Anyway, from time to time they would stop and the teacher would ask them a series of questions and they would have to shout back the answers. if they were not loud enough they had to repeat the answers - I guess until a suitable volume level was attained.
Beach Time
It's full on holiday time here so people have come down here to the coast to roast in the sun on the rocks and concrete (we really don't have sandy beaches here). Anyway, all that I will say is that I don't think people try on their swimming costumes (aka bathers) before they purchase them.
Cycling
Haven't done a lot of it yet but I was almost involved in a four bicycle pile up on the cycle path when I did venture out. One cyclist passed me then pulled over the side, of the two cyclists in front of me, one decided to stop in front of me but to one side at least, so I moved around and then the third cyclist who was now in front of me decided to stop in the middle of the path. They weren't Italians.
But who was an Italian was the cyclist who was riding with his child siting on his shoulders. I don't know whether he (the child) was an acrobat in training.
But the highlight has been the German bicycle as long as a car that could accommodate three people. I saw them a couple of times. It was made up of three parts: in the front was the wife on the recumbent or recliner part of the bike (the ones where you sit back with the pedals in front), the husband sat on the 2nd part which was like a normal bike, and the third part was the covered trailer that the child was in attached to the back of this contraption. I don't know how they safely steered and stopped this thing.
Interesting People
As I said I attended a number of festivals. At one there was some added entertainment with one of the audience, near the stage of course, playing along on his air guitar and singing along. Another one not only sang along but for one number played his mouth organ! Luckily the actual professionals were so loud you couldn't them.
Interesting Businesses
I have seen a chain of clothes shops around here which mystifies me with the name: Egoist L.A.B Shop. I can see their target audience but I don't know what LAB stands for.
A particularly interesting business I discovered here in Piran recently is the Fish Spa. No this is not a spa for fish but a spa for people who put their feet in fish tanks to be nibbled at by fish. I make no further comment except to direct you to this if you don't believe me: https://www.facebook.com/FISH-SPA-PIRAN-1779695442263917/photos?ref=page_internal. But I will say it does particularly well as when I pass the shop? salon? aquarium? it's nearly always full (of tourists no doubt).
Reality TV
I have been watching a bit of this recently, especially the crime related ones. I have learnt two valuable things from these programs:
- Don't develop or maintain any sort of relationship with a person at all as you will probably get murdered by them
- Every second person convicted of murder is innocent.
Random Thoughts
Something that has puzzled me for some time is the thick lips that seems to be characteristic of some of the TV and entertainment personalities of our Eastern European neighbours, south of here. It particularly afflicts middle aged women. I don't know whether its a genetic thing, or whether the selection process for the recruitment of these people favours such a feature. It is a mystery.
Another thing that I have wondered about is whether there has been a convergence yet between graffiti and tattooing. Is there any such thing as tattoos of graffiti? I would have thought if there hasn't been yet there will be given the similarities: they both involve people that like to scrawl on clear surfaces.
No comments:
Post a Comment