Hello all,
Got a bit bored so when off to Italy for the day - as you do. Trieste in fact, which is 1.5 hours by bus from Piran. This is the largest city close to here and traditionally people from Slovenians have gone to shop etc. to this area being so close, plus prior to the First World War there was a sizeable Slovenian population. Just above, up in the hills, Trieste is Villa Opcina which is essentially a multilingual area - most people speak both Italian and Slovenian being close to the border and I caught the old cable tram (picture below) which runs from Trieste. I have not been to Trieste for probably 20 years - some things are different but a lot is the same. It's a funny place, some places are amazing (see the pictures below), other places are run down and untidy - it's as if no one cares (like a lot of Italy). At least in Slovenia places are run down because there is just no money or somebody ran off with the money (usually builders). There are a lot more shops (Italians are really good at that - the shops in Trieste are better than in Slovenia) and activity than I remember.
Some observations from the trip...
- there is always one. near the bus station at Koper. I notice an Italian looking goatee man waiting near the bus stop and talking to himself, I assume he is going to Trieste. No I am wrong as he has moved away and sat somewhere else. The bus comes in and the door remains closed. As is the Slovenian way; at best the doors only open 5 minutes before departure. As I heard a driver say to one of these eager beavers once: what's your hurry there's still two minutes. Anyway this Italian (confirmed) was in fact going to Trieste and he was an eager beaver, so the bus driver opened the door, confirmed it was going to Trieste and closed it again. Then when we did board he didn't appear to know what to pay and held everyone up. Of course he didn't pre-purchase the ticket although he was the first one at the bus station. You think that would be that. No, five minutes into the bus trip he stands up and asks me whether it was going to Trieste. It's on your ticket and you confirmed it with the driver twice!
- one thing about drivers in Trieste is that they have an amazing ability to make one lane into two and two lanes into three. Also double lines down the centre of the road appear to be only advisory, particularly for motorbikes.
Just returned from a few days in Austria and will update you soon on that too. I'll just say that I was stalked by Italians again.
Enjoy these pictures from Trieste.....
Got a bit bored so when off to Italy for the day - as you do. Trieste in fact, which is 1.5 hours by bus from Piran. This is the largest city close to here and traditionally people from Slovenians have gone to shop etc. to this area being so close, plus prior to the First World War there was a sizeable Slovenian population. Just above, up in the hills, Trieste is Villa Opcina which is essentially a multilingual area - most people speak both Italian and Slovenian being close to the border and I caught the old cable tram (picture below) which runs from Trieste. I have not been to Trieste for probably 20 years - some things are different but a lot is the same. It's a funny place, some places are amazing (see the pictures below), other places are run down and untidy - it's as if no one cares (like a lot of Italy). At least in Slovenia places are run down because there is just no money or somebody ran off with the money (usually builders). There are a lot more shops (Italians are really good at that - the shops in Trieste are better than in Slovenia) and activity than I remember.
Some observations from the trip...
- there is always one. near the bus station at Koper. I notice an Italian looking goatee man waiting near the bus stop and talking to himself, I assume he is going to Trieste. No I am wrong as he has moved away and sat somewhere else. The bus comes in and the door remains closed. As is the Slovenian way; at best the doors only open 5 minutes before departure. As I heard a driver say to one of these eager beavers once: what's your hurry there's still two minutes. Anyway this Italian (confirmed) was in fact going to Trieste and he was an eager beaver, so the bus driver opened the door, confirmed it was going to Trieste and closed it again. Then when we did board he didn't appear to know what to pay and held everyone up. Of course he didn't pre-purchase the ticket although he was the first one at the bus station. You think that would be that. No, five minutes into the bus trip he stands up and asks me whether it was going to Trieste. It's on your ticket and you confirmed it with the driver twice!
- one thing about drivers in Trieste is that they have an amazing ability to make one lane into two and two lanes into three. Also double lines down the centre of the road appear to be only advisory, particularly for motorbikes.
Just returned from a few days in Austria and will update you soon on that too. I'll just say that I was stalked by Italians again.
Enjoy these pictures from Trieste.....
No comments:
Post a Comment